Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Help
kerigma130 posted:
My 65 yr. old mother was diagnosed today with dementia and ataxia. I'm devastated, so is my father. Any tips? Support groups in Houston, TX?
I'm lost lost and feel helpless.
Thanks,
Monica

cjh1203 responded:
Oh, I'm so sorry, Monica. What horrible news for all of you.

Were you told what specific type of dementia she has? If it's Alzheimer's, there are medications that can help slow the progress of the disease. If it's another type of dementia, there may be other types of treatment available (although no cures that I know of, unfortunately).

You might want to check out the National Ataxia Foundation's site for information about that part of her diagnosis.

If your mother has Alzheimer's, I'm sure there are support groups in Houston, and they could be a great help to you and your father. Here is The Alzheimer's Association site .

If she has a different type of dementia, you'll be able to find web sites devoted that that, also.

What are some of your mother's symptoms? Have they been developing over a period of time? Do you think she understands her diagnosis?

I wish I could offer you some words of comfort, but I know that there isn't a lot of comfort to be had for you right now.

This community has been pretty quiet lately, but I'm normally here every day and I'll always respond to you. I'm not a medical professional, but will offer any help any support I can.

Best wishes.

Carol

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Monica,

What a shock for you and your family.

It would help if you could find out what is causing your mother's symptoms,since dementia and ataxia are symptoms of an illness, not the illness itself.

Perhaps a neurologist could shed light on what is causing these symptoms. Try to find out some answers at a major hospital that has a memory clinic. Other ailments mainfest these symptoms - asd as soon as you have a definitive diagnosis, treatment can begin.

I hope you find some answers,

Judy

BethanyBray responded:
Get involved in Clinical Trials. You can join a database to be notified of Clinical Trials. Alzheimer's is scary but there are some good clinical trials for new medications out there and healthcare is provided free of charge when you are enrolled in the trial. We need to work together to advance healthcare and fight Alzheimers!

(https://app.unbounce.com/383622/pages/24a8ffc0-8c16-11e2-b0f3-12313e02a4f0).

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

"Outsmart Your Genes"--a MUST READ!
I read "Outsmart Your Genes" by Brandon Colby MD and it was such an empowering read. I have been looking for other publications by this ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.