Skip to content
Alzheimer's vs. Lewy Body Dementia
2010guardian posted:
Yesterday I had a new revelation after listening to a news report on dementia.
It stated that a person who has had a sleep disorder in the past of hitting and kicking, will probably (or possibly) get Lewy Body Dementia later in life. It also mentioned hand tremors as a side effect of Lewy Body, which my husband has and is continually getting worse. it stated that Aricept helps the patient with Lewy Body.

My husband has had this very bad sleep disorder and has hit me and kicked me many times during his sleep. The MD said there was no answer or cure for it. When my husband was highly stressed (like worry over our son) he would be much worse. Many nights he would be leaning over me yelling or roaring like a bear. He would later tell me what he was dreaming.

What type of test would tell the difference between the two dementia's. Would that be the psychiatrist who does this ?

He has many characteristics of Alzheimer's but his memory has improved so much that he remembers current events, information, appointments that I made the day before, etc. I have felt that this is the results of the Aricept and Namenda as they work on two parts of the brain.

Which dementia is the worse to live with?

Thanks for any information. I'm trying to pull up info on Lewy Body, but haven't found what I'm looking for.

Kathy

SoonerRo responded:
Hi Kathy,

My husband has Lewy Body Dementia. You can find excellent information at lbda.org, the website for the Lewy Body Dementia Association. We also have a members-only online support group for spouses of people with LBD. You can request membership at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LBD_caringspouses/.

LBD is often undiagnosed and misdiagnosed, so you need to find a geriatrician or neurologist who is very familiar with LBD. There are several markers for LBD, but not every person will have them all: fluctuating cognition, gait and balance problems, hallucinations, delusions, neuroleptic sensitivity, REM sleep disturbances, compromised autonomic functions.

We also have an extensive set of resources on the Caring Spouses site with articles and links to websites about LBD.

Ro

2010guardian replied to SoonerRo's response:
Thanks Ro for your reply. Ken's MD was against our doing anything. I did have an appointment with the neurologist without going through the MD but I had second thoughts that the reports would be sent to the MD and he is taking care of the AD.

For now, we won't do anything else. Thanks for the information.

Kathy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

SundowningExpert
Hi Everyone, I'm so gald to see that many of you find relief from sundowning after following the recommendations of your physician ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.