Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
looking for an article for the degrees of alzheimer`s
69lemans posted:
hi ! trying to find an article that would give me something to guage alzheimers,,, mild, moderate, severe. my girlfriend`s mom is what i would consider severe,,i.e. she has to be put on the tiolet and told to go, she has to be wiped after she`s done because she just doesn`t know or remember how to, needs to be fed and given liquid, needs to be given her medication, bathed. this past easter she sat in her wheelchair all day just mumbling non stop. an average joe is typing this.

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi 69lemans

It's hard to deal with this level of deterioration. The Alzheimer's Ass. at www.alz.org has a download detailing the stages of the disease. You may also call 800-272-3900 for the hand-out.

In my experience, it sounds like the disease has progressed into the late stages. I hope your girlfriend has help with her Mom; the local Alzheimer's Assn. may be able to give her some direction. It may be time to consider residential placement - there are some good facilities that accept medicaid as payment. They are skilled at taking care of these issues, which may permit your girlfriend to focus on how to find ways to relate to her Mom without the exhaustion of taking care of her physical needs.

Hope you guys get some relief,
Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

"Outsmart Your Genes"--a MUST READ!
I read "Outsmart Your Genes" by Brandon Colby MD and it was such an empowering read. I have been looking for other publications by this ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.