Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    6people posted:
    I'm really anxious to hear from folks that are experiencing a family member with dementia?
    My mother-in-law is 78, for the past four years her behaviour has become more and more erratic. She won't let anyone in the house.
    Her speech is often slurred when we call her. She's forgotten the password on her security system that she has had for many years.
    She's had challenges with her bank account. Has borrowed thousands of dollars from her son to buy timeshare points that she doesn't use.
    She's impossible to talk to, she rages on and on. She's lost lots of weight. She is angry all the time for reasons she makes up in her mind.
    The worse part, her sons, my husband included don't want to believe there is anything wrong. She has started disowning family members.
    My Dad had lewy body dementia but he was nothing like this.
    Please help! How do you convince them to see a doctor?
    davedsel responded:

    My 82-year-old dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in January 2011. He fell out of bed and was taken to the ER. When they did the brain scan and found a concussion they also found signs of Dementia, later pinpointed to Alzheimer's. He is now in a nursing home at about moderate stage.

    IMHO, your husband needs to do all he can to convince his mother that she needs to see a doctor. The symptoms you describe can be caused by a number of conditions, including possible history of stroke. It certainly could be a form of dementia as well. Only a doctor can accurately diagnose and then treat whatever condition is causing her symptoms.

    I pray this all works out well for your family.

    cjh1203 responded:
    What a frustrating situation. It's so difficult to convince people of something bad when they're in denial, as your husband and his family seem to be.

    I would recommend contacting your local Alzheimer's Association and discussing this with someone there. Denial is such a common thing in cases like this -- I'm sure they have dealt with this and probably have some good suggestions for you.

    Best of luck. I hope you're able to get your husband to face the reality of his mother's condition.

    Judith L London, PhD responded:

    What a tough situation to be in. The slurred speech is a real concern, indicative of a possible medical condition that needs immediate attention. I ditto the suggestion that someone accompany both of them to a doctor's appointment.

    Perhaps the family can get together and and share information about her behavior after a medical condition has been ruled out. The Alzheimer's Assn. has wise guidelines about family meetings. The fact that she is barring people from entering her home is another red flag. Often people who are developing dementia symptoms are obsessed with money matters as well.

    Hope you can work something out,

    Helpful Tips

    Help with Overseeeing a ShowerExpert
    Hi Everyone, It is so important for caregivers to get some help early on especially when bathing and showering become a challenge. Whether ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    14 of 14 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.