Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    meds and alzheimers
    mcred posted:
    I am a care giver for a elderly man in his 80s . he has Alzheimer's.
    the family does not understand the affect of it 100% they do not want him put on medication that will make him seem out of it .

    they like for us to give him valium a half every 3 to 4 hours.. but it doesn't seem to do anything for him. he gets very irritated. hits and pushes and talks very ugly..

    the valium doesn't seem to help at all.. is there other drugs he could take.
    davedsel responded:

    I am sorry you are experiencing this. There are definitely other medications that could help better with the aggressive tendencies. His family needs to take him to his doctor asap for evaluation and explain what is happening.

    I hope this gets resolved soon.
    Judith L London, PhD responded:
    In my experience, Valium is not usually given to people with Alzheimer's. The medications often given which slow down the progression of the disease are Aricept and or Nemanda. When there are behavioral problems, the circumstances around the incidents often can be altered so that the individual is no longer 'triggered' to be aggressive. If that doesn't help, small amounts of anti-depressants are often ordered by physicians since depression so often accompanies this disease. The important thing is to find a physician who knows about Alzheimer's for the proper treatment.

    Hope it works out, Judy

    Helpful Tips

    need tips- dad moving in with alzhemers
    My dad is moving this weekend with Alzheimers any helpful tips or info would be helpful.. I wish I knew... More
    Was this Helpful?
    8 of 16 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.