Includes Expert Content
Emotions after the death of an alzheimer patient/family member
Nicky22 posted:
I have been looking for support groups for some of my family including myself since the recent passing of my grandmother to this disease. I have contacted the ALZassociatin group in my family's area, but many of the resources and support go to those who are current caregivers. Is there any place that is known to any of you community members who may have been in this situation or are currently in this situation? This has been mentally draining on all immediately affected. Thank you in advance for your response.

cjh1203 responded:
I'm very sorry about your grandmother's death, Nicky.

I don't know of a support group for families of someone who died specifically of Alzheimer's, but you should be able to find someone who specializes in grief counseling. Your local hospice will normally offer grief counseling (at no charge), even if the person wasn't under hospice care. I have a friend who has taken advantage of that, and it has helped her tremendously.

Here's an article about grief after the death of a loved one with dementia.

I'm sorry I can't offer anything that is more tailored to what you need, but checking with hospice may be a good place to start.

Best wishes,
Carol

davedsel responded:
Nicky22,

I am so sorry about your grandmother's passing.

Alzheimer's has affected a large part of our family. This past February we lost my wife's dad to a combination of CHF (congestive heart failure) and Dementia. My dad is in a nursing home with moderate Alzheimer's.

Carol has given excellent advice as usual. Hospice offered grief counseling to my mother-in-law and was wonderful when Dad passed.

I pray for peace and comfort for your family.

Nicky22 replied to cjh1203's response:
Thank you so much for your reply Carol. Your response is very helpful.

Nicky22 replied to davedsel's response:
Davedsel thank you so much for your response. It is very helpful at this time.

Judith L London, PhD replied to cjh1203's response:
It's so hard to deal with the loss of a grandparent, especially when you have been so involved with her care. Some communities also have grief support groups, and regardless of the nature of the loss, the support group really helps. Talking about it is the key to healing from this.

With sympathy,
Judy

Nicky22 replied to Judith L London, PhD's response:
Thank you Dr. London. I have not really been talking about it. Those closest to me express condolences, but nothing else. That's why I believe a support group where you're free to express your feelings is critical for me. Thanks again.

cjh1203 replied to Nicky22's response:
Nicky, a lot of times, people just don't have any idea how much someone in your situation might want to talk about it. They don't want to be intrusive by asking questions that you might not want to answer, so I think they often take their cues from the bereaved person.

If you have some good friends who are normally supportive of you, let them know that you want to talk about losing your grandmother. They'll probably be happy to lend a sympathetic ear.

A support group is still a good idea, but if you give your friends a chance to help you, they may come through.

Carol

Nicky22 replied to cjh1203's response:
Thanks Carol. I will try the advice this week. I am also still pursing a support group. Thanks for the article earlier. I just reviewed it and there were some great tips. I found myself in several of the scenarios. You all have been very helpful. Thank you once again.