Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Alzheimer's and anti-depressant research
trwebster posted:
I'm a care-giver for a moderate to severe Alzheimer's client who lives with her daughter. Since I started working with her, I've been reading what I can find about this disease in order to learn as much as I can. Lately, I have been wondering about the tendency for doctors to prescribe anti-depressants for those with Alzheimer's Disease: anti-depressants are designed to work on healthy brains, so-to-speak and Alzheimer's are not that. Does anyone have any information as to where I could find research on this subject?

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Many people with Alzheimer's are depressed, and in my experience, anti-depressants are an effective treatment. After all, people with Alzheimer's have feelings, and the emotional center of the brain is generally not affected by the disease.

If there is aggressive behavior, the first step in dealing with this is to change the environment to accommodate the person with Alzheimer's. My book, Connecting the Dots... gives simple ways to do this.

If that is ineffective, anti-depressants can be effective in reducing symptoms - especially since depression sometimes has an angry component. Although I am not a physician, research show that anti-psychotics are to be prescribed only if other methods have failed to produce results.

The Alzheimer's Assn. is a good resource for any issues that arise. All 800-272-3900 or go to www.alz.org.

Hope this clarifies it a bit,
Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

"Outsmart Your Genes"--a MUST READ!
I read "Outsmart Your Genes" by Brandon Colby MD and it was such an empowering read. I have been looking for other publications by this ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.