Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Wife Refuses to Use Toilet Bowel Movement Only
An_252611 posted:
My wife was diagnosed with early EOAD seven and half years ago. She is currently 64 years old. The latest base line change is she won't use the toilet for a bowel movement. It's almost like she does not know what to do. She sits down but will not stay. Eventually she will go in her depends without any stress doing so. I don't believe there is a physical problem. She goes on a regular basis and will empty her bladder fine once I get her to the bathroom and even contains herself until she wakes up. All the bowel movements have been dry of urine. My question....is this a common problem?

Thank you,
Jack

davedsel responded:
Hello and welcome.

I am so sorry you are experiencing this with your wife. I had to find assisted living for my dad in January 2011 when he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at 81, and in early May 2013 I had to move him to a VA nursing home in our state.

My dad was having bowel and bladder incontinence problems and that is why he was moved to a nursing home. From what I understand, the disease affects the person's ability to be able to control these functions properly. That could be all that is going on with your wife - a natural progression of the disorder.

You are to be commended for being such a good care-giver to your wife. I pray for strength and wisdom for both of you.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi,

You are doing a great job with your wife.

Often people with Alzheimer's have toileting issues. It's hard to know how else to cue her to sit on the toilet and relieve herself. Hopefully, she continues to go at a regular time so that you can anticipate her routine.

Consider getting some help to assist you especially if you know her routine so that you can get some relief.

Remember to take care of yourself, too,
Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

SundowningExpert
Hi Everyone, I'm so gald to see that many of you find relief from sundowning after following the recommendations of your physician ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.