Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
International Care
ScarlettCL posted:
It is time we put him in Long Term Care. We have looked at a ton of facilities here in southern California but, the problem is we can not afford any of them. We began doing some research on assisted living and long term care in Mexico since we are so close to the border. We have read great reviews and articles regarding this. This past weekend we visited a place called Residencia Lourdes Pacifica in Ensenada, it is a beachfront facility that specializes in Dementia/Alzheimer´s and is a quarter of the price of anything I found in Southern California. Does anyone know of this place or have any advice on this type of international care? Thank you and bless you all.

davedsel responded:
Hello and welcome.

I fully understand about the high cost of Assisted Living. I had my dad in one for 2 years before recently having to move him to a VA nursing home. He had an excellent retirement income and was fortunate to be able to afford the cost. However, I did move him to 3 different ones as his savings was being used. I finally found one that he could afford using his retirement income alone that was excellent.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about that particular facility or any details involved with international care. A good source would be the Alzheimer's Association. Here is the link: http://www.alz.org/index.asp

The Alzheimer's Association will have a local chapter in your area. Go to that link and enter your zip code and you will be taken to their site. They have a full message board where you can ask questions, and a toll-free phone number as well.

I pray you find the care you need for him soon.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

ScarlettCL replied to davedsel's response:
Thank You so much. We have not made any final decisions but the home in Mexico may be our best route. I did go and check it out and it was absolutely amazing! I wanted to let you all know that after making the trip down there which was as simple as could be, I was very satisfied with what I found, the facility, the care .. just everything. It looked like a vacation home more than a facility, when you entered you just felt a sense of being ??home?? with people who loved their job and loved the residents like it was their own family they were taking care of! The owner?s wife came by during my visit and had their small children with her and each of the children went to every single person their giving them hugs and love with drawings they had painted or some craft they made as if it were their own grandparents- I was so impressed with the volume of love felt within this place, I asked the director before I left if they might find room for me as well, he just laughed.

I still plan to speak with some of the other residents families, right now each person there is from the US in the beachfront facility, the facility downtown has more Spanish speaking staff I believe which would most likely mean Mexican residents would be most comfortable there. However, the one I saw was owned and operated by American nurses who spoke only English so I was comfortable with that. I still have a lot to think about but if anyone has any experience in International care I would love to hear from you. Thank you again.

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Help with Overseeeing a ShowerExpert
Hi Everyone, It is so important for caregivers to get some help early on especially when bathing and showering become a challenge. Whether ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.