Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
August Greetings
Judith L London, PhD posted:
Hi Everyone,

It's hard to believe that it is August already. It's been a busy summer. I've incorporated some creative activities to keep my brain sharp - violin lessons, singing lessons, and keeping up my daily walks. What are some of the ways that you take care of yourself?

Let us know,
Judy

cjh1203 responded:
Wow, Judy -- that's wonderful that you're taking violin and singing lessons. Are those things that you've done before and are brushing up on, or are they completely new endeavors?

I have started playing the brain games on lumosity.com, but my job of six months tests my brain more than anything I do. I have started hula-hooping for exercise. I'm not nearly as good at it as I was 50 years ago, and get most of my exercise bending over to pick it up!

Just by incorporating more fruits and vegetables in my diet, I've lost almost 50 pounds in the last three years, and feel better than I have in a long, long time.

It will be interesting to hear what other people are doing.

Carol

davedsel responded:
Hello, everyone. Yes, it is so hard to believe it is August already.

Even though I am disabled due to serious spinal problems, I have been trying to maintain our lawns and gardens my self this year. My wife, who is also disable due to a work-related back injury, and our eldest son help with those chores a great deal. It takes a lot longer than it used to to accomplish tasks but they are getting done.

I play games on my lap top to keep my mind active such as crosswords and roller coaster simulation games. I'm also active in a few communities here at WebMD and a few other forums.

My dad is continuing to do OK at the VA nursing home. They are taking excellent care of him and he seems happy there.

Carol, congratulations on the weight loss! My wife and I are trying very hard and it is so difficult. You are doing great!

Have a blessed and awesome August, friends.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Judith L London, PhD replied to davedsel's response:
Great to hear that you keep on plugging along, Dave and Carol.
I started the violin and singing in a chorus last summer. I don't practice the way I should, but it is fun - and stretches my brain.
Fighting weight gain is a never-ending challenge for me, too, but exercise helps!

In a week or so, my new book will be available -and that has been a stimulating task.

More to be revealed,
Judy

cjh1203 replied to Judith L London, PhD's response:
I have no idea how old you are, Judy, but I know you're not a teenager! I'm so impressed that you would take up something like violin and singing, especially with everything else you have in your life.

We are fortunate enough not to have an Alzheimer's patient -- or any kind of patient -- in our family at the moment, but I'm looking forward to reading your book. It must be such an exciting moment when a book you've poured your heart and soul into for so long finally goes on the market.

"More to be revealed"... Very curious!

Carol

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

SundowningExpert
Hi Everyone, I'm so gald to see that many of you find relief from sundowning after following the recommendations of your physician ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.