Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Alzheimer's Concern
PIAGAL posted:
My Grandmother had 9 children. Out of the 9 Children. 4 have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's Dementia. She also died of the disease. Three of her other children died of other non related deaths. What is the risk for the offspring from her children. Is it an increased risk. ? Thank you

davedsel responded:
Hello.

Our Expert, Dr. Judith London, will eventually come along and reply. She probably would know the exact answer regarding the statistics you are seeking. From what I understand there is an increased risk in future generations developing some form of Dementia such as Alzheimer's.

In the mean time, you may be able to find answers at the Alzheimer's Association website here: http://www.alz.org/
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi PIAGAL,

Somehow I missed your post - my apologies. In some cases of Alzheimer's, a gene, APOE4, has been found but not in the majority of patients. When both parents have the gene, there is an increased risk. I would suggest you contact your local memory center or Alzheimer's Assn. who can direct you to a genetic counselor to review the details of your situation and give you more accurate information and review options with you.

Let us know how you make out,
Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

need tips- dad moving in with alzhemers
My dad is moving this weekend with Alzheimers any helpful tips or info would be helpful.. I wish I knew... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 16 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.