Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
October is Here!
Judith L London, PhD posted:
Hi Everyone,

Hard to believe that October is here.
Please forgive me for being slower that usual - I am in the midst of a major move - what an ordeal! It makes be even more compassionate for the folks who have to move, and those of you you who have the burden of making it happen.

How are you doing?
Judy

davedsel responded:
Hello, everyone.

We are having a beautiful Fall so far in Western New York. Dryer than usual weather now, but a wetter summer has allowed the leaves to turn colors a bit earlier. Lots of days with deep blue skies and multicolored leaves on the trees.

I am doing OK. My dad is doing well in the VA nursing home. He has developed a plan in his mind to buy a blue Ford and get out, and does keep saying he wants out. That is understandable, but he needs to be there. We've tried to explain to him that if he were to get out his health problems would get much worse. This is upsetting to me but I know he is in the right place and getting excellent care.

Have a blessed and fantastic Fall, friends.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

cjh1203 responded:
Hi Everyone,

Judy, you have my sympathy. Moving is one of life's worst jobs. It's been 13 years since I moved last, and the memory of how awful it was is still very fresh! I hope the worst is over now, and that you're making progress unpacking.

Dave, I'm so sorry that your dad wants so much to get out of there. I know it's very hard for you to see him unhappy. Maybe you could try something similar to what my uncle's doctor did to get him to stop smoking when his Alzheimer's got so bad that he was burning holes in things. The doctor said that he had to start wearing a nicotine patch -- no trying to reason with him, or explanations, just a statement -- and said that if he smoked, he would have to put him in the hospital. My uncle never had another cigarette.

Maybe you could just tell your dad that the doctor said if he doesn't stay in the hospital, he will get sicker and will have to go to the hospital.

Your Fall sounds wonderful. Ours, such as it is, hasn't started yet, and it's still 90 every day in our part of Florida.

Best wishes to everyone.

Carol

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.