Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
alzheimers
rips2 posted:
My mother hallucinates for several hours (sometimes it can last for 30 or more hours) and does not sleep or eat during this time. She then will sleep for 24 hours or more. She has been diagnosed with alzheimers and is 91 years old. Is this normal for alheimer's patients?

davedsel responded:
Hello.

Yes, those are symptoms of Alzheimer's. When was your mother's last doctor visit? Something else such as an infection may be happening also so it may be time for a visit.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

rips2 replied to davedsel's response:
Dave, thanks for the reply. My mother is in a nursing home and regularly has doctor's visits. In the past she has had some bouts with unrinary infections, however, she has had these hallucination constantly since August. My daughter, who is an RN, also suggested that it may be the onset of infections.

Again, thanks for the information.

Regards,

Bob

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Dave and your daughter are on the right track. First rule out physical reasons. Have there any other changes at the nursing home that would upset your mother? The nature of the hallucinations may reveal her anxieties - have the social worker or psychologist check them out. Talk to her about her hallucinations- do they reveal fear? Then you can reassure her. If the hallucinations are not disturbing her peace of mind, it may be OK to just let them pass if they do not signal infection. If the hallucinations are disturbing her, then a psychiatric assessment if in order.

Hope you can work this out,
Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.