Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Alzheimers and anesthesia
tierzafin posted:
I'm 51, I need surgery and Alzheimers runs in the family. Is there any research regarding using Porpofol versus Sevoflurane and/or how the IV process versus inhaling is preferred for Alzheimer prone patients?
Thanks for any input.

davedsel responded:
Hello.

I did a Yahoo search for the phrase "anesthesia alzheimer's" and got several hits. Here is a link to one of them: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3034231/

Contact your local chapter of the Alzheimer's Organization (http://www.alz.org/index.asp ) may give you some direction for your research as well.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Dave is spot-on in his suggestion that you contact the Alzheimer's Assn.

Good luck,
Judy

createasmile replied to Judith L London, PhD's response:
I really need some advice. I am living in Texas and I am a 100% service connected disabled veteran. My mom lives in DC and she has really gotten worst but we dont have the money to hire a home care nurse so I contacted Family Adult Protective Services in DC and they set her up with a nurse two days a week but she needs more care. The problem is she has money in her accounts because she retired from the federal government after 38years but none of us have access and she wont sign nothing. We just want her to be able to stay in her home because she is happy when she is at home but when she got sick and went to a nursing home she was sad everyday. Now that she is back home which was recently she has been so happy. I am so sad and stress worrying about her but I have four children myself and with my health it has been hard. Is there something we can do? I don't want anything to happen to her at home by herself but she is begging me to never take her from her home. Now, today I just went with my mother-in-law who lives in Texas, to her doctor appointment and we are worried that she may have dementia. She is experiencing sites of people in her home at night but we know the people arent there because we have ensured that the screen and door is locked. But she feels that she is 100 percent sure that the people are there and that they are visiting her at night and taking her things. I feel like I am being hit with a double dose and I really need some advice. Thank you and God Bless You All!

Judith L London, PhD replied to createasmile's response:
Hi,

You need to consult with Adult Protective Services and/or contact the Alzheimer's Assn. to find out how to go about obtaining financial rights and responsibility for your mother. It may involve a court decision which requires 2 physicians to attest to her mental status.

As for the hallucinations that your mother-in-law reports, it is important for someone to accompany her to a doctor's appointment to rule out a medical reason for her behavior. Is she on medications? Any pharmacist can tell you whether mental side-effects may be present. Memory assessment at a local facility or neurologist with expertise in distinguishing dementia symptoms would be the next step.

Hope you can find out what's going on,
Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.