Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Bananas and Alzheimer's
darlamonholland posted:
Our nutritionist told us that we should only occasionally eat a half of a banana, because they contain the same sticky plaque that is in an Alzheimer's brain. I've been looking for this online and haven't found anything but good things said about bananas. Anyone else ever heard of this?

davedsel responded:
Hello.

I did a Yahoo search using the phrase "bananas alzheimer's" and got many links to articles and studies that say fruit, including bananas, is good and helps slow down the progress of the disease. I did not see anything to substantiate what your nutritionist said to you.

You could ask your nutritionist what he/she bases that opinion on - articles, studies, websites, etc.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi,

I have also seen articles that report that a banana a day is associated with a reduction of the probability of vascular dementia - perhaps because of the potassium content.

There are often conflicting reports about foods, dietary supplements, etc. We just have to use our good sense, keep on checking things out, and hope for the best.

Judy

edv7028 replied to Judith L London, PhD's response:
My wife eats bananas several times almost every day; and she
was diagnosed with Occipital Vascular Dementia in June 2013.

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.