Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
What Stage Could She Be In ?
edv7028 posted:
Hello...
My wife has had symptoms since 2009; and was diagnosed as having Occipital Vascular Dementia in June 2013.
Today she can no longer remember where, or in which direction the bathroom is; or of having eaten or visited someplace 5 minutes prior.
I'm well aware that she is getting worse. I see this on a daily basis as
I have been her 24/7 Care Giver ever since her release from the
hospital in June 203.
What stage could she be in ? I suspect Stage 7. How much longer
will she have to suffer.
I hate this damned disease which causes her to suffer so badly and
for so long !
Thank You !
Ed VA
"Forgive me my impatience... they know not what they do."

davedsel2 responded:
Hello.

I am very sorry you are going through this with your wife.

You would do best to become part of the on-line community in your local chapter of the Alzheimer's Association. Here is a link to their website: http://www.alz.org/index.asp

I pray you can get help soon.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

edv7028 replied to davedsel2's response:
Hello & Thank You Dave...
I've been a member of the Alz.org website since around June 2013. Although they have tried to find help for me of all kinds, they haven't been successful due to my wife's unique situation.
She is only 61, and is 1/2 point shy of qualifying for SS. One of the Alz.org moderators did some research and found that in
Texas, there are some limitations that apply to our situation, and disallows help for her. Life goes on, it just "Ain't fun !"
Gratefully,
edv7028
"Forgive me my impatience... they know not what they do."

Judith L London, PhD replied to edv7028's response:
Hi edv7028,

What a tough situation. Try local memory centers from universities in your area. Also, she might qualify for a clinical trial since it sounds like she may have early onset Alzheimer's - and with clinical trials, medical costs may be covered. I hope that a neurologist has placed her on medications to slow the decline. Get help from local community organizations - they often have volunteers who will give you some relief. The sooner you can have her go to a day program or get some additional help, the better it will be for you and your wife.

Take care,
Judy

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi edv7028,

Vascular dementia does not have stages. But, once the brain is weakened from one type of dementia, it is susceptible to other types. Has a physician told you she has Alzheimer's as well? If so, is she on medications to slow the process? She may have an infection, dehydation, medication effects or depression as well - which are treatable. Also, hospital stays are really disorienting.

As for stages in Alzheimer's, the Alzheimer's Assn. has information that indicates the stages. Go to www.alz.org or call 800-272-3900.

A support group would really help -
Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.