Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
what is the helpful meal to reduce Alzheimer
kaamee posted:
Hi ! it's a useful discussion going on here.I am feeling some symptoms of Alzheimer's disease in my father like he repeats a thing many times and some other symptoms as well.I just want to ask what kind of meal is helpful to avoid this disease.I heard that eating fish regularly is very helpful.is it right?
http://nutritionpace.com/what-is-alzheimer-disease

davedsel2 responded:
Hello.

I really am not totally sure about diet associated with Alzheimer's Disease. I've seen lots of articles like the one you link to, but what I would want to see would be studies on the subject. I am sure that fish does help as it has always been called "brain food".

What the best course of action would be to talk to your father's doctor about these symptoms. He may need to see a neurologist and be tested so an accurate diagnosis can be made.

You may also want to check out the Alzheimer's Association website here: http://www.alz.org/

I pray you can get answers and treatment for you father soon.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

cjh1203 responded:
Hello Kaamee,

Has your father been checked out by a doctor? His symptoms could be due to any number of things besides Alzheimer's, so he needs to be examined to receive a diagnosis. If it is Alzheimer's, he can start medication that can slow the progress of the disease.

I believe that the Mediterranean Diet is considered one of the best for helping to ward off Alzheimer's, but there's no guarantee at all that it will prevent it.

Best wishes,
Carol

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi kaamee,

Depression, infection and dehydration can show signs of dementia. A physical exam is the first thing to do to rule out these conditions. Then, if all is well medically, a neurological assessment in a memory clinic can follow. As far as diets go, one filled with fresh fruit, vegetables, whole grains, fish, etc - the Mediterranean diet - has been associated with a delay in the onset of dementia symptoms. Exercise is the most highly related with delaying the onset of dementia. There are no known preventions but mental stimulation from learning new information is associated with keeping new brain cells active and increasing the volume of the brain. Having friends or belonging to groups also nourishes the brain.

Hope you can take care of yourself as well,
Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.