Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Early Stages
An_256568 posted:
Wow y'all! It appears that each of you are living what is the beginning of my bad dream. My partner has not even been diagnosed yet. I am in discussions with our doctor, and doc & I are going to gently approach the subject of visiting a neurologist when my partner goes with me for my checkup w/the doc next week. Our doctor says my partner is in denial that she may be developing "the big A", or some other type of dementia.

She is still working at her business, but it is such that she is home 5 out of 7 days, and very clingy. I, too, cannot get anything done when she is home! I have developed my own hobby, & rented a small "storefront" at a local flea market/antique mall just so I can get out of the house for one of my days off from work, and a couple other mornings during the week! We have been together for 9 years, and she has changed a bunch in the last year, but most of our friends don't have a clue because none of them are around her as much as me. I love her, and am in a covenant and committed life-long relationship with her. However, her behavior is beginning to drive me crazy, and like the old Carpenters song goes: "We've only just begun."

We don't have any immediate family, so I am facing this train coming down the tracks at me all alone. I am still working - a police sergeant on night shift patrol, so my job is stressful, and I come home exhausted, as I have my own health albatross - fibromyalgia. Pain & fatigue are my constant companions. I can retire next year (2015), but really don't want to: I love my job, and I need the good health insurance. My partner has her own insurance through Medicare, but we have been planning to get married in June, and I will put her on my insurance, if it's better.

That would be a question I have: how would Cigna (for a major municipality) compare to Medicare, as far as the quality of coverage for someone with ALZ? Also, thank you all for listening, respecting, not judging, and for any information you can share with me. God bless y'all!

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

SundowningExpert
Hi Everyone, I'm so gald to see that many of you find relief from sundowning after following the recommendations of your physician ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.