Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Assisted Living Transition
tupelo14 posted:
My sister has moderate stage alzheimers. She has been living at home alone but the time has come to take the next step as she can't remember to eat or drink and gets dehydrated. We are moving her into assisted living this weekend. She is very adament about leaving her home. Any suggestions on how to make the transition easier for her? We don't know whether to let her be a part of the packing up or take her away from the house while it is being done. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

davedsel2 responded:
Hello and welcome.

I am sorry you and your family are going through this. If you read my story you will see what I have gone through with my dad.

We had moved my dad into an assisted living facility right from a rehab center in early 2011. My wife and I then packed up his belongings from his mobile home, put them in her mom's garage, and then sold the mobile home. He went with us a few times to pack things up and helped a bit, and it was OK.

If you sister is adamant about not moving and causes problems during the packing, then it would be best to do it without her. It all depends on how advanced the alzheimer's is and her mood that day. If she can help and cooperate, then it would be best if she is present to help pack and basically "say goodbye" to her current home.

Do you have power of attorney so you can handle her finances? Do you have health care proxy so you can make decisions about her health care needs? I contracted an elder attorney to get these documents in proper order and it made everything easier.

I will be praying for you and your family as you all go through this transition.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

cjh1203 responded:
Tupelo, I'm also very sorry about what your sister and your family are going through.

Dave has given you great advice, having had this sad experience himself.

The assisted living facility should have someone on staff who has dealt with this type of situation before, who can advise you of the best way to handle the move. You could probably also get valuable advice from your local Alzheimer's Association, as this is something they undoubtedly deal with on a regular basis.

I know this is awful for you. When my aunt was talking to an Alzheimer's case manager, who had dealt with this sort of thing for 30-some years, the case manager said that moves like this are almost always traumatic, but that the patient soon settles in and almost all of them do better than they did at home. I hope that will be the case for your sister.

Best wishes to you.

Carol

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

SundowningExpert
Hi Everyone, I'm so gald to see that many of you find relief from sundowning after following the recommendations of your physician ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.