Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
i need help
An_257217 posted:
I have workedin the nursing homes in my area for some time 30 years I had 2 back surgerys found out that my dad was diagnose with this I have family members that I told but I get nothing from them no help. my mom is live but has heart problem . im alone in this can you help me all I want to do is cry

atti_editor responded:
Hello,

I am sorry that you are not getting the support you need from your family. Having a good support system is very important when you are acting as caregiver for a loved one. There are many other places that you go to develop this support. Here are some ideas for getting help from other caregivers . Here is a caregiver's guide to Alzheimer's that goes through what to expect when a loved one has this disease.

It may also be helpful for you to look through these tips for reducing the stress of caregiving and this slideshow of 14 tips to avoid caregiver burnout. I hope that you will continue to come to the community for support or with any questions you may have. Please let us know how you are doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

davedsel2 responded:
Hello.

I am sorry your family is going through this.

Your dad will obviously need care and the further the disease advances the more care he will need. The Alzheimer's Association (http://www.alz.org/index.asp ) has a great deal of information on the disease and how you can get the help you need. There is a local chapter in each area of the country and there is a place on the website to find the chapter and help in your area. You should be able to find how you can get the type of care he needs through the Alzheimer's Association website as well.

In order to help, you should work with an elder attorney to get a Power Of Attorney for both parents' financial information, and a Health Care Proxy so you can make decisions about their health care needs. Since you have worked in nursing homes, I'm sure you are familiar with all this. Now is the time - right after the diagnosis - to get all this in place so you are prepared as the disease advances.

I understand how difficult this is and I will be praying for you and your family.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi,

Let me add to the wise suggestions given to you and add that getting support for you outside of the family will really help. This is too hard to go through alone. Check into your local senior centers, religious organizations as well - often they have people to give you a hand regardless of your membership. Don't neglect yourself - see your own physician about feeling so sad - and check out your own medications to deal with drugs effects that are making this even more difficult for you.

Keep hang in in,
Judy

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.