Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    i need help
    An_257217 posted:
    I have workedin the nursing homes in my area for some time 30 years I had 2 back surgerys found out that my dad was diagnose with this I have family members that I told but I get nothing from them no help. my mom is live but has heart problem . im alone in this can you help me all I want to do is cry
    atti_editor responded:

    I am sorry that you are not getting the support you need from your family. Having a good support system is very important when you are acting as caregiver for a loved one. There are many other places that you go to develop this support. Here are some ideas for getting help from other caregivers . Here is a caregiver's guide to Alzheimer's that goes through what to expect when a loved one has this disease.

    It may also be helpful for you to look through these tips for reducing the stress of caregiving and this slideshow of 14 tips to avoid caregiver burnout. I hope that you will continue to come to the community for support or with any questions you may have. Please let us know how you are doing!

    Best wishes,
    davedsel2 responded:

    I am sorry your family is going through this.

    Your dad will obviously need care and the further the disease advances the more care he will need. The Alzheimer's Association ( ) has a great deal of information on the disease and how you can get the help you need. There is a local chapter in each area of the country and there is a place on the website to find the chapter and help in your area. You should be able to find how you can get the type of care he needs through the Alzheimer's Association website as well.

    In order to help, you should work with an elder attorney to get a Power Of Attorney for both parents' financial information, and a Health Care Proxy so you can make decisions about their health care needs. Since you have worked in nursing homes, I'm sure you are familiar with all this. Now is the time - right after the diagnosis - to get all this in place so you are prepared as the disease advances.

    I understand how difficult this is and I will be praying for you and your family.
    Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


    Judith L London, PhD responded:

    Let me add to the wise suggestions given to you and add that getting support for you outside of the family will really help. This is too hard to go through alone. Check into your local senior centers, religious organizations as well - often they have people to give you a hand regardless of your membership. Don't neglect yourself - see your own physician about feeling so sad - and check out your own medications to deal with drugs effects that are making this even more difficult for you.

    Keep hang in in,

    Helpful Tips

    Help with Overseeeing a ShowerExpert
    Hi Everyone, It is so important for caregivers to get some help early on especially when bathing and showering become a challenge. Whether ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    14 of 14 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.