Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
1st Doctor's appointment
goldenanswer posted:
I am certain my husband has alzheimer's. I spoke to the nurse when my husband was in seeing the doctor on a different matter. I told her I had not discussed the situation with him. She said she would have the doctor call me. The office called this morning for me to set up an appointment and again I told her I had not told him. She said well tell him and call me back. My husband is a very private person and will be really mad that 1st I even think it and 2 I dared tell someone, even the doctor. This will make it pretty well impossible for me to be his caregiver. We only have a small income and cannot afford any help.
Anyway, I wondered how you went about informing your loved one that they needed to see a doctor in this situation.

tanyajohn responded:
I didn't use the word Alzheimer's with my Mother as she was already to the point that she really wouldn't have understood the diagnosis. I just told her that she was having problems with her memory and we were going to help take care of her. She was young - 68, so I feel too young to have this happen in our family.

goldenanswer replied to tanyajohn's response:
Thanks for sharing.

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi goldenanswer,

It's good that you set up that doctor's appointment. Physical illness must be ruled out before diagnosing Alzheimer's. The Alzheimer's Assn. has guidelines about how to handle this situation - www.alz.org. Tell your husband it's time for a physical, and let the physician handle the rest.

Hope all goes well,
Judy

goldenanswer replied to Judith L London, PhD's response:
He just had a physical and I cannot get him back to the Dr. Thanks very much for helping.

cjh1203 replied to goldenanswer's response:
Can you tell him that the doctor's office called, and they need to see him again? Maybe tell him that one of the tests has to be re-done, or something?

I think that Tanyajohn is right -- it's probably best not to bring up the possibility of Alzheimer's right now.

You might contact your local Alzheimer's Association. Unfortunately, I think a lot of families run into this kind of resistance, and the people at the Alzheimer's Association probably have experience with it, and may be able to give you some advice.

Carol

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.