Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
I am 40 and have strted using the wrong words often....
tp2sad posted:
Is this an early sign of Alzheimers? I never type the wrong word but I can say the wrong word when talking just automatically. Grandma had it.

davedsel2 responded:
Hello.

This is definitely something to discuss with your doctor at your next visit.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

cjh1203 responded:
We all say the wrong word at times, and it's usually perfectly normal. If you're calling things by the completely wrong name, and it happens often, that could be cause for concern. For instance, if you're calling a car a piano, or calling a dog a shoe, that can be a sign of a problem.

If it's bad enough that it worries you, as Dave said, it would be good to get it checked out by your doctor. It would be very unusual to develop Alzheimer's at such a young age, but not unheard of.

I hope you'll let us know what you find out.

Best wishes-
Carol

tp2sad replied to cjh1203's response:
I am going to have neurological testing done; I almo think of the word some something familiar and the sort term memory is poor. Thank you so very much.

cjh1203 replied to tp2sad's response:
Please let us know how it goes. Even stress can cause our brains to do things like that, so I hope it will turn out to be something that can be fairly easily treated.

Carol

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi,

Just to let you know - lots of other conditions mimic these signs including infection, thyroid, Vitamin B-12 deficiency, depression and anxiety. Have a complete physical first.

Hope all is well,
Judy

tp2sad replied to Judith L London, PhD's response:
I defintely have anxiety and depression. The neurologist said having a ct scan but that depression and anxiety could be causing symptoms. Just founf out today thyroid is aokay. Bloodwork pending. Thank evryone!

Just wondered if you've found out anything from your doctor.

Carol

tp2sad replied to cjh1203's response:
Well, all my labs were fine so it's not thyroid or b12 defficiency. It looks like stress is winning but there is still a ct scan pending. Thank you for asking.

I'm glad everything looks good so far. I hope you'll let us know how the scan turns out.

Did your doctor suggest anyone to help you manage your stress, or give you any ideas about how to do it yourself?

Carol

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

SundowningExpert
Hi Everyone, I'm so gald to see that many of you find relief from sundowning after following the recommendations of your physician ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.