Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
my dad
tweetypie21 posted:
My mom has been diagnosed with Dementia and I stay with her while my dad goes to work,Mon.-Fri, . He is 84 has his own business and mom is 83. mom wants to be be with him and only him and she gives a hard time . i am now considering only coming to the house 3 days out of the week . Am I wrong for having to do this to save my insanity or to MAKE him spend more time with her. My life is passing by with no future . It's time for me to make a change so my life can progress. I have 2 sisters carrying on with their life ,why shouldn't I !! What are your thoughts ?!!!
davedsel2 responded:
I am sorry your family is going through this.

You are being a good adult child, but should not be the only one who takes on this responsibility IMHO. It sounds to me like a family meeting is in order to discuss care for your mom. Dementia patients should never be left alone for long periods of time. You may even need to consider getting a professional care-giver in for additional help.

I pray you can work all this out with your family soon.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


Judith L London, PhD responded:
You are in a tough situation but the sooner your family gets some outside help, the better it will be. Use the approach that the help is for your Dad and you, not your Mom. Have one of you stay with the new caregiver the first few times to ease the transition. The sooner you take this action, the better it will be. You need to take care of yourself in order to be effective.

You count,


Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

Alzheimer Awareness Week- Nurture IndependenceExpert
Today, July 12th, ends Alzheimer Awareness Week and it was more than coincidental that it coincided with July 4th, Independence Day. ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 25 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.