Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Compassion and Choices
cjh1203 posted:
I read about this site today in a letter to the Editor of our local newspaper.

It gives some great information and advice about preparing for end-of-life care, and talks about advance directives and powers of attorney, etc. It looks like a great resource.

One thing that I found especially interesting is that you can add a provision to your advance directive, stating what you do and don't want to be done if you develop dementia. That is comforting to me, because I had always assumed you just had to suffer through the years-long, horrible process of dying from Alzheimer's or other dementia. I'm definitely going to add that language, to minimize the suffering of my family and me, should I develop dementia.

Carol

Judith L London, PhD responded:
Hi Carol,

Thanks for the incredibly good suggestions and comfort you offer all the time. I, too, have discussed with my loved ones what my wishes are in the event that I develop dementia, and put this in writing. It needs to become a standard part of all advanced directive formats.

Keep up the good work,
Judy

cjh1203 replied to Judith L London, PhD's response:
Thanks for the kind words, Judy.

Hope you enjoyed the long weekend.

Carol

Featuring Experts

Judith L. London, Ph.D. announces the publication of her second book, Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes , with...More

Helpful Tips

need tips- dad moving in with alzhemers
My dad is moving this weekend with Alzheimers any helpful tips or info would be helpful.. I wish I knew... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 16 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.