Skip to content
Long lasting Panic attacks
curlykids posted:
I had my first full blown panic attack on the 5th of October. It lasted hours, all night really, until I passed out from exhaustion. I had sweating, extreme nausea, hot flashes where I felt like I was hot from the inside out and extreme shaking. The whole next day I was jittery, like I had drank 12 redbulls. This has repeated for 5 days.

On 10/7 my doctor prescribed me Wellbutrin SR 100mg/day and Xanax .5mg/day.prn. I took the xanax, it helped some, so I decided to start the Wellbutrin that same day (10/7) Huge huge mistake. Within 1 hour of taking it, I was in another full blown panic attack. My skin was hot. I was flush from the inside out, I had chest pain. I was having frantic shaking I could not control. I felt I was out of control and I couldn't stop it. It felt like I was dying. It was horrible!

I called my doctor and he advised me to take another xanax. I took it and within 30 minutes I was out cold and slept all night.

Since then my days have remained the same. Constant jitters, and what seems like a caffeine high. My nights are the same, constant lingering panic attacks and fear. As soon as it gets dark I start to fell panicky. Ive been taking 1 .5 mg xanax in the evening and a dose of Benadryl. I sleep all night, 12 + hours ( im used to sleeping 6 )

As soon as I wake up, its the same thing all over again.

I cant try the Wellbutrin again, im too scared. In the past I have been on Lexapro and Zoloft but I gained tons of weight, so im worried about that too.

My questions are these.

1. Can Xanax be taken with Wellbutrin or Lexapro? What about with Zoloft?

2. Is a side effect of the xanax a feeling like im high in caffeine the next day, or is this the lingering anxiety?

3. I know what triggered my first anxiety attack but WHY now that the issue is resolved will this not go away? I feel so out of control and depressed, its horrible I hate this.

I am 29 years old and Ive never experienced anything like this before.

MlPyle3 responded:
Hey,

I'm only 18 years old and i'm having all those symptoms and i'm scared out of my mind. I don't sleep at all and I don't know what to do. They want to admit me to the emergency room but I refuse to go there. My doctors office can't tell whats wrong with me either. I have never expierenced these things before.I'm not sure if it's a for sure panic attack or what... Any suggestions?

JGD84 responded:
2 suggestions... work w/ your MD and get a physical (this will rule out any physical reason for your symptoms AND make you feel a little bit better it's probably stress related) and ask him the med questions... the MDs the experts along w/ the pharmacist. Please don't take medical or pharmacy advice from a chatboard. People can talk about their experiences, but are not experts and/or professionals in those fields. Secondly, go see a therapist and work w/ them... meds are only part of the answer. Whatever triggered the panic attacks needs to be assessed and worked on by a profesional psychologist and/or anxiety therapist. FYI - I'm giving you advice that worked for me... my MD ran some test to rule out physical reasons and started me on Buspar and Xanax. I've been working w/ a therapist whose really done a terrific job of explaining what's going on. Trust me, you're NOT alone... just do things right initially and save yourself some time and anxiety!

Dr_Patricia_Farrell responded:
The best person to task about the med combinations in addition to your doc is your pharmacist. As to the panic, it sounds like it really needs to be broken with some medication so that you can regain your composure. You might talk to your doc about the other meds that worked well for you and ask, also, about something that would control the weight gain. There are meds that some psychiatrists prescribe for this purpose. Do what you can in terms of some mild exercise and anything that will help you get your mind off whatever it was that initially started the panic. Now it's a question of getting some balance back. Xanax can cause some people to feel a bit high.

curlykids responded:
how addictive is Xanax when it is taken as directed at .5mg a day?

Dr_Patricia_Farrell responded:
Talk to your doc. A .5mg dose isn't that much.

beisenbp responded:
I used to have panic attacks mostly at work. I had to hide them which made it worse. I fought taking meds for a long time but I had to. Also, there were hormonal things that triggered the attacks. I don't know if these apply to men or not. Anyway, I took Xanax full time for several weeks two times in my life. I also took Clonopin (sp?) which was longer acting Xanax. That guaranteed that the attacks would not occur. In the meantime, I did a lot of talk therapy to get to the real reason for the attacks. What I was going through in therapy was triggering them basically but once you have one or more, the fear of reoccurence triggers them anyway. I don't know if this helps you at all but eventually, I stopped having the attacks. There are times that I can still have a mild panic attack but they are rare and I understand what triggers them.

You should talk to your doctor about all the side effects but from what I have seen, Xanax does not cause that level of anxiety. It sometimes can cause a little nervousness the next day. I prefer dealing with a psychiatrist for the meds because they really know about them. Unless you want to stay on drugs forever, you have to deal with what the real cause is and also learn how to change your behavior when they happen. Hope this helps. I know it is a very horrible feeling.

Good luck.

BP

JGD84 responded:
Curlykids,

You need to ask your doctor or pharmacist... but I believe you CAN take Xanax w/ all the drugs you mentioned.

Sounds like classic anxiety. Have you considered counseling? CBT (Therapy) can help... I'm sure I just beat Dr. Pat 'to the punch' here!

The combination of meds and therapy have been proven effective. Stay patient and positive... exercise and be proactive in your recovery! Lot's of people have this issue, myself included. Again, stay positive and do things that are calming... deep breathe and relax.

You're in my prayers!

beisenbp responded:
It's all addictive after a few weeks but when you are ready to get off it, you decrease it slowly. It's not that bad.

Keeptruckin responded:
Answers to your questions:

1. Xanax can be taken with Wellbutrin, Lexapro, and Zoloft. Any pharmacist wil tell you that. It just may be that the combination of the Xanax and Wellbutrin do not agree with your chemical make up.

2. I personally have never had side effect from Xanax that made be feel high on caffeine following day. Most likely that is residual effects from the anxiety. It's an awful feeling... like you are crawiling out of your skin.

3. I have asked that same question! You feel like you are doing all the proper things to deal and address what caused this distress and it's still lingering and stalking you. You are not alone and that is the most important thing to remember. So many people suffer from this. It most likely is because their are things on your subconscious that you are not aware of.

Stay strong. I experienced anxiety and panic attacks as a child in elementary school. It was bearable. The big one that got me was when I as in my late teens. Took over a year to get a grip on it, felt like I had to learn how to walk all over again. It was even worse because no one I knew had experienced it so they were helpess and confused. I went 15 years without experiencing dreadful attacks, they were managable and actually what I considered healthy anxiety.

They have come back now full swing and it's now lasted 7 days and counting. I have had brief lapses of serenity during these 7 days. A hour here and there, much less good than bad but those are the hours I am holding on too. It will get better and you will get through this. The reason you feel so out of control is because you have no control over this. You can though. Learn coping skills such as deep breathing and positive thinking, I used to loathe when people said that. Made me so angry, like that's really going to work is all I used to think. It does...concentrate on taking deep breaths in and breathing out. Do for as long as you need to do to feel like you are not crazed. Keep telling yourself you can do this and you will do this. Don't worry about the future and what's going to happen like if and when anxiety attack is going to happen again or when it's going to go away. Think of NOW. Be in the NOW. Think positive and you can. You've come this far. It's a battle butt there's that saying that always holds true "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger". It's true, you get through this, you will get through anything.

Thoughts and prayers are with you. I know what you are going through and trust me, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Be a trooper and don't let this overtake you. You can do it.

Godisawesome76 responded:
Hi! I am having the same thing, I was just in the ER yesterday but I am also having a very rapid heartbeat as well. I was just wondering if you were having that? They ran all types of tests on me and said they all came out normal and ruled it stress/anxiety. I am trying my best to avoid medication for this!

wayne200 responded:
Godisawesome76 - you might need meds to help u over the hump. if u read my post u will see that i suffer from alot of the same things and chest pressure and rapid heart rate. i take xanex as needed and it helps me though it . i to do not want to stay on meds but feel that its part of the tools i need to make myself better. i would double thing the meds and look for more help that will help you. i have read a few books on it and am still lookin for more tools to help me out. i talk to a shrink tomorrow and hope to get alittle better idea of what i need to get though this. we are all with you and in the same boat. your not alone. remember to talk to yourself and tell yourself your OK and it will pass. good luck and remember to read other posts here as it has helped me understand what others do to get though it.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.