Skip to content
I can't stop humming...Help!
kinikia1948 posted:
I'm not sure what my problem is, but I definitly have one. I keep humming to myself unware most of the time that I'm doing it. (It is not a song) My husband has to tell me to stop. This has been going on for some time now but it seems to be getting worse. Am I alone with this or is there someone else out there who has this very annoying problem? I need to learn how to stop this or find out what is causing it. Can anyone help? I'm not sure if it's anxiety because it happens even when I'm relaxed.

Kiagirl21 responded:
wow- I actually hum all the time!!!

I sit in a cube at work and I hum and make noies all day long- along with singing songs half to my self and humming : )

I think it anchors and calms me a little-

probably because of me- I never really paid attention- but when my husband and I hug or put our heads together we make humming noises...

Kiagirl21 responded:
I also will half hear things that people say near or far and I will repeat them to myself and sometimes out loud without realizing it....don't know why =it's like at that moment I am wrapped uo in whatever I am thinking about and everything I hear is just zinging round in my head- ??????

kinikia1948 responded:
Well I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone. The humming can be very annoying..to me and everyone around me. Has any one said anything to you that you are making these noises?

Kiagirl21 responded:
Yep- especially at work : ) I won't even realize I am making noises never mind humming all kinds of pitch and notes depending on what I am doing at that moment- or I'm humming a song or I m' singing and humming a song and someone one will be like hey- what are you doing over there- but I just laugh and say sorry my bad- I just have so much energy or I am wicked into what I was doing --

I was in a meeting once and I was staring into space and the lady speaking did a really funky sounding oookaaayyy and I didn't even realize until after I did it but I mimicked her and just kept on trancing away- and my friend was like what are you doing!?!? laughing thank god

think humming -vibrating your vocal cords is very soothing and relaxing- keeps me centered- and yes sometimes too much but oh well it keeps me special and unique

Why does it bother your husband so much do you think? Is he very serious - does he get uncomfortable when you get goofy or let loose -laugh etc? How is he with public effection?

kinikia1948 responded:
My husband has a very good sense of humor. Sometimes he mimics me. I tell him to let me know when I'm doing it to make me aware and try to control it. He says "your doing it again" I sure would like to know what's causing it and how I can STOP it. I read somewhere (can't find it again) that It might be Tinnitis and that I'm humming to compensate the noise that's coming from my ears. ( I don't hear that either) Have you ever tried to find out what's causing it?

tinamarie218 responded:
I recently skimmed a short article on humming being beneficial to oneself, but I can't remember where I read it ( Women's health mag? or internet?).

On a different note, a friend's daughter recently had a baby. The baby, now 3 weeks old, hums. Not a loud hum, but definately a hum. Baby's mom is a music teacher and sang to her baby while pregnant, so maybe that is why, but who knows?

kinikia1948 responded:
It might be beneficial, but it's also annoying and embarassing when done in public and unaware that your doing it. 3 week old baby humming? hummmmm!

Kiagirl21 responded:
Thats good-

No I haven't- my ears go deaf a lot and then go back to normal

Kiagirl21 responded:
mmmmm- my my sang to me when she was pregant......

I read somewhere that humming and singing make endorphins...

I would guess the trick would be to acknowlege it when you realize and say- nope stop that- to yourself- like learning anyother kind of habit/routine- the more you you try to pay attention to and identify yhe easier it should be to control it - good luck-

sky20001 responded:
I have always hummed when I'm busy doing something at home. Over the last year, I find I also hum when I am walking somewhere. I do worry about it bothering people, even though I do it very quietly, and I also worry that it's a symptom of something...

kinikia1948 responded:
I thought I was doing it quietly too until my husband would say "your doing it again". Even as I sit here at the computer I find myself humming which is ok because I'm aware of it. What bothers me is when I am not aware or why I am doing it in the first place. And yes, I worry about it being some kind of symptom that my body or brain is telling me something is wrong, but it's hard to find anyone with the same problem so I can fix it....Cindy

christysspot responded:
You have described what has been an issue for me for about 6 to 8 months. I see these were first posted in November of 2008. Did you find any answers? If you or the others who replied to your post have any more information, I would love to hear it. My husband also tells me to stop. The other day he said I was humming constantly and how much it must bother the interns I supervise. Now I wonder this too! I feel the same way, like it something that just happens. When I do become aware of it, I stop, but eventually I start humming again. It is very much like a compulsive behavior now. Any help would be appreciated!

Claire89 responded:
That's going to be difficult to stop. It sounds habitual and almost like a tic. I think if I had that problem, I would get a sound magnifier that is advertised on tv for people who have a hard time hearing conversations. I would get something like a small receiver that you could wear around your neck, then put the volume up really high and wear the ear phones that go with those devices. You would really notice if you were humming if you were hearing it loudly in your ear. You would have to stop immediately to stop the discomfort to your own self.

- Claire

DLamey responded:
You are not alone--- Have you found any help? My husband is ready to kill me!!! I believe this started about 5 yrs ago when I had a drug problem. I have been off drugs for 4 yrs now. Let me know if you have any secrets to controlling this!!! thx

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Lexapro
My dr. just prescribe me Lexapro.. i just feel nervous taking it. does anyone have any thoughts about it. More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.