Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Trembling upon waking??
blondiecbm2005 posted:
every morning for the past 3-4 weeks...i wake up feeling shaky. its not noticeable shakiness, but i feel it through my whole body on the inside... for camp ive been waking up at 7am allll summer, so its there when i wake up, even the times ive been woken up by noises before 7..... and it disappears within 40-45 minutes....and then im mostly fine all day (sometimes a little anxiety symptoms here and there) but then the shakiness is back the next morning.... DONT think its low blood sugar, i get different symptoms for that, and the shakiness goes away on its own, without me eating....

if it is a medical thing, i dunno what it could be....it goes away on its own and i am fine throughout the day, what medical thing only bothers me for an hour in the morning???

so does anyone else get this upon waking up?

or even at other random times throughout he day?

or do u guys think its a medical thing??

btw 22 year old female who follows a healthy diet...no coffee, soda or junk food....and has been working 5 days a week at a summer camp, my 9th summer at this camp... could the hectitness and occasional bad night of sleep at least 2 times a week cause this??
FirstPrevious12NextLast

coko26 responded:
Yeah those are anxiety attacks .I get those when I get anxious and panic .Thats normal for you to have those with anxiety.

blondiecbm2005 responded:
yea but im waking up with it....im not awake and then i panic over something then i get the shaky feeling....its there before i awake

keiths74 responded:
I wake up the same way sometimes. My is due to Anxiety issues. You do not have to be awake for your body to have those sensations. Your brain is still running while you sleep so you might actually be having some anxiety issues when you awake. If you feel it is something more then talk to your Doctor. He/She can help you narrow it down so you don't have to feel more anxious about what is going on. Feeling more anxious about what you are feeling may lead you to have a Panic attack.

Dr_Patricia_Farrell responded:
I'd like to help you, but I just don't know what this is. I'm not an MD and I do think you probably need a medical check-up just to be sure everything is okay. Lack of sleep can cause many problems, but I would think you'd have problems throughout the day, not just the first hour or two.

3Hawks responded:
I have had this for a few months now, Some nights it starts when I go to sleep, Some nights it starts when I wake up to go to bathroom or maybe when I turn over if I wake in the turning over.

Some nights I don't have it at all, or I just have it in the early morning hours before I completely wake up.

Some times I fell it harder then other times, some times I fell it lightly.

When it started I did not feel it in the day at all just night, But now if I get stressed out I do feel it in the day until I get calmed down.

I have had Anxiety for 40 years but this night time inside shaking has just stared in the last few months.

I have not went to a Dr. about it because I had just got a check up just a few weeks before it started.

And had my thyroid checked at that time all was good.

But I do have stress in my life so I think it's my subconscious mined telling me to make changes in my life.

One thing that calms me and make this stop is soft calming music and positive self talk.

Maybe you could wake up with some soft calming music, I thinking there must be a lot of stress in your day and its coming out at night.

Dr_Patricia_Farrell responded:
Stress hormones are highest in the morning and rise through the night as we sleep, so that might be it or it could be your hectic schedule. As always, when in doubt, talk to your doc just to be sure.

sjbf74 responded:
I get this feeking too. Upon waking sometimes, and just randomly throughout the day. I was just put on Zoloft for my panic and anxiety problems. I get worried about why I feel this way, can't pinpoint it. I have done blood work and nothing shows up abnormal. It is very frustrating to me that I can't figure out why it happens. I get dizzy often and have shakiness for no reason. Everyone around me seems to think it's all anxiety and stress,

sjbf74 responded:
panic all the time over the way I feel when I can't find a reason it's happening,

gena333 responded:
I have been having these same symptoms over the past two years. I usually only have these symptoms during the school year. I just wake up feeling really weird, shaking like I'm cold, and unable to go back to sleep. Mine are usually accompanied by nausea, diarrhea, and heartburn. After having these symptoms for a few months, I visited the doctor and he said it was stress and would probably end whenever the school year ended and he didn't believe I needed to be put on medicine since it would cause me to become sleepy (definitely not something you need during finals week). He was right and the feelings ended the morning after my last final. They returned my sophomore year but weren't as severe. They have also been present during the first few days of my junior year but seem to be fading. It seems like when I don't get enough sleep the feeling is more severe. There is a deep breathing exercise I use to relax. Begin by contracting your toes and taking a deep breath in through your nose and out through your mouth very slowly and until empty, then repeat with each muscle up to your forehead. Sometimes, this helps me. Listening to music with a slow tempo also helps me. Finding something to concentrate on other than the shaking makes it fade. Exercising also helps me. Usually my symptoms go away within an hour but once they went into a full blown panic attack. Caffeine is definitely a no no.

mehrhop responded:
I am 59..I was diagnosed with Panic disorder about 15 yrs ago ..I take effexor for the attacks and it has definitely helped..Recently I have been under a lot of stress and now when I wake up I have shaking in my hands and neck area..This last about 20 minutes or so and gradually gets better..I am attributing this to anxiety and depression as I have taken a blood sugar test and was normal ..This shaking also comes with a feeling of dread upon awakening..I am going thru a dreadful divorce that has been in the court system for 3 yrs.My ex husband knows of my panic disorder and I feel like he is intentionally preying on my disorder..He has appealed the divorce descision it to every avaiable court ..The divorce settlement still stands except now he wont do as it states so now I have to take him to court on contempt ..Anyway i feel like this is attributing to my symptoms and hopefully will stop when the stress stops..I have doubled up on my effexor and it still has not stopped..

cam94z28 responded:
Hi blondie, I get this from time to time, and it freaks me out just as badly every time it happens. I wake up with my whole body trembling/vibrating, and it almost feels like my heart is racing at 250bpm. It's hard to actually tell as my whole body is shaking so putting my hand on my heart just results in the same shakiness. Unlike you though, it tends to go away within less than 10 minutes. For me, it only and specifically happens when I'm anxious before sleep, about health, or about not sleeping (which happens frequently). Sometimes I wake up in a full blown panic/feeling of doom with or without the trembling. Other times I will jerk back awake over and over again upon dozing off, repeatedly getting the trembling as well, sometimes for up to 3 hours, before being able to stay asleep. Ambien is the only thing that gives me relief from this "jerking awake" although I wish I could find something better over-the-counter. Once I've managed to stay asleep solid for more than an hour and a half, none of the above happens, and, upon waking I am fully relaxed, and can usually fall back asleep within minutes. I sleep like a rock once I get past that "threshold," but sometimes getting there is a battle.

Hope I've helped.

Arla98 responded:
Has anyone managed to "resolve" this.

My wife suddenly started having this about a month ago (admitedly around the same time that other things got bad and she got diagnosed with Bipolar) and can't shake it... it makes her terrified to goto sleep knowing that she'll wake up with this shaky feeling, and she gets anxious about it, which obviously isn't going to help!

JGD84 responded:
I agree w/ Dr. Pat... the FIRST thing to do is get checked out by an MD. Always eliminate the most life threatening concern FIRST, then start ruling out possibities over time. I'm an RN who suffers from panic attacks as well. I've been put on Buspar 2x daily w/ Xanax as needed.

In my case, I occassionally get up shaking in the am... usually goes away w/ deep breathing and/or taking my 1st dose of Buspar... usually last 15 - 20 minutes.

Again, in my case I believe it's anxiety... I've thoroughly (and I mean thoroughly) been checked out for heart issues which (Thank God!) have all come back negative w/ a extremely minimal chances it's heart related.

I've been working w/ a therapist who's been most helpful. Even though, I'm a cardiac RN, he's taught me/reminded me of some basic concepts about how the body uses, stores and distributes energy brought on by stress. For me, as my stress increases my symptoms come back... thoughts of dying, having heart attack or aneurysm. Even after several months of working w/ my therapist and getting started on my meds, (all have improved my situation substantially by the way) I still have less frequent/less intense panic attacks. However, what I've learned is NOT to be passive in the process... deep breath, take the Xanax, use affirming phrases, calming counts and remind myself these events pass and I'll be ok.

This am I had one and 2 Saturday's ago... same thing... panic/shaking. Instead of waiting for bad things to happen, snap into action building yourself up and 'getting ahead' or 'maintain pace' w/ the panic... it'll pass... after 20 or 30 minutes.

Lastly, please get checked by your MD... thoroughly! Non only is it the prudent thing to do, if everything checks out ok it will add to your confidence that it's anxiety issues and nothing physical that will kill you... and you will be ok after a little time and counter balance effort!!!

3Hawks responded:
Anxiety, or Hormonal inbalance, mybe Adrenal fatigue,.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.