Includes Expert Content
Severe Anxiety and Depression. 22 year old Male. PLEASE HELP
howhorrible posted:
I am a 22 year old college student who has suffered from Deppression and anxiety for years, but seem to be experiencing it worse now than it's been for a long time. When I was 17, a junior in college, I went on accutane which seemed to trigger depression. I went to a psychiatrist and was diagnosed with Depression, anxiety, OCD and Body Dismorphic disorder . I was put on 20mg of Prozac which was very successful and pulled me out of the depression. I had over a year of complete satisfaction and happiness. It was a great feeling. When I started college, I had a bad experience and developed anxiety. I have attended 4 different schools in 4 years, and though I have grown accustomed and comfortable to each one, I have experienced panic attacks my first few days of attendance. During these panic attacks, I get hot and cold flashes, I lose my appetite completely, shake, I am restless, fatigued and I get an overwhelming feeling of loss of control and utter helplessness . It is a horrible feeling and whenever it happens, I want to be sedated . I have been fine for the past year, but recently, I went abroad with my school and the first few days, I had the panic attacks and anxiousness. Since then, even though I am back from being abroad, I am anxious. I think it is times of change that these attacks happen. I over-analyze everything... If someone says something a certain way, I become very paranoid that they are angry with me or upset. I also find all situations awkward when they clearly are not. I guess overall, when it comes to my anxiety, I over-think. I let non-issues bother me. I am constantly concerned about my appearance, about what people think, what they know... It's like walking on egg shells all the time. It triggers my depression and I get very self conscious. I can never relax, not care and just enjoy things. I am in the process of getting an appointment with a counselor. I would just love some advice from anyone on what they think this might be.

Thanks a lot and I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
You're making the right choice to begin seeing a counselor because it sounds more like social anxiety than anything else and that's something that isn't difficult to handle with help. You also know that it's the first few days of a change in environment that is the worst for you and that if you just get through those few days, you'll be okay again. So, there are a few things for you and the counselor to work on and I think things will begin to be a bit better shortly.

mctoday replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
My brother is 22. He has depression and social anxiety. He feels like he doesnt know how to talk to people and doesnt like anything anymore nor does he want to hang out with friends or go on dates. He is a nice guy and it makes me sad that he feels this way. He is on 20mg of Celexa.....has only been on meds for about 2 months..What can I do to help him? I feel helpless.