Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Pain medications
pan_n_pandora posted:
Over the past 7 years I have been off and on pain meds. I have found that taking methadone at a low dose of 10mg a day has reduced my anxiety as well as depression.
The catch is that I can not seem to find a doctor that can agree with such an ideal. Though my psycologist does believe that it can help with depression and some anxiety. She is not athourized to write such medications.
I take 40mg cymbalta
2mg klonopin 3x day
25mg atenolol for high blood pressure and heart rythme.

Any one suggest any thing that is comparable or advise on this. I am not drug seeking like a junkie would.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Methadone, which you know is a treatment for addiction, is just as addictive as the heroin it is used to help patients get off. Yes, it helps with your anxiety just like many drugs would, but it's not an acceptable use of the substance. You are already on meds and you need to consult with whoever is prescribing. How did you begin taking methadone? You had an addiction problem? It's not unusual to find that anyone who has an addiction problem also has a problem with anxiety and depression and that usually starts their substance use in the first place. It's just like people who have a problem with alcohol dependence usually have a problem with anxiety.

pan_n_pandora replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Yes there is an addiction to pain meds with out doubt. I was treated for a rock climbing fall that twisted vertibraes in the mid back. I quit going to the doctor for pain manegment because of the addiction that they were feeding me. I can get less pain meds on the street and not need to take many.
Why does it work well as an antidepresent? And have there been any studies involving opiates and depresion?

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.