Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
How do I safely stop Xanax
An_190050 posted:
hello,
I am seriously wanting to get off Xanax (generic) I currently take .50 mg. 4x a day. I have unbearable GERD and have done so much researrch and found that the Xanax probably CAUSED my gerd. I never had it before.

Prior to 11-07 I was taking .25 Xanax as needed...........maybe one every two weeks or so and most times not even once a month. Then I had a major trauma in my life and a stupid psyciatrist told me to take .50 4x a day....2.5 years later I am in hell.

I cannot find a difinitive answer to hoe to SAFELY stop Xanax and if I can take another anti anxiety med (non addicting) in tandem.

Can anyone educate me?

rudymom responded:
If you Google stopping Xanax or any med in this class (benzodiazipines) you will find many ways to go about it - most of them are slow papers. I suggest you make an appt. with the prescriber (the psychiatrist) and have him/her outline a plan for tapering off safely. If you run into any problems, the psych. should/will be your contact person. I don't see why you couldn't take another anti-anxiety med. at the same time - one like an SSRI (Paxil for example). SSRIs work completely differently than benzos. And yes, Xanax and meds like it can make GERD worse.

Best wishes on your road to peace.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
This isn't something that you should try to do by yourself. Whoever is prescribing the med should be the one who provides advice on how you can get off it. I'm not an MD, but it doesn't sound like a lot of the med, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem getting off it.

kstrike replied to rudymom's response:
Thank you..........already planned that appt. BUT I am allergic to SSRI's

Looking for maybe another med that is not so addictive/ Valium?

rudymom replied to kstrike's response:
Good that you will seek professional help with the Xanax taper. Here are some possibilities for med replacement - BuSpar which is for anxiety but not habit forming or Vistaril which is an antihistamine but is used for anxiety because it can be sedating. Wellbutrin is also an antidepressant that has also been used for anxiety and it is not an SSRI (it is classed as an 'aypical' as it is not really known how it works but it works well for some people). Head-to-head counseling and medications work equally well in studies for mood disorders. I lean toward the counseling/support group idea - that is what has worked best for me. Looking back, my journey toward recovery has been such a blessing.

Best wishes for peace.

kstrike replied to rudymom's response:
Thank you....will look into those meds. So many different counselors and hypnotherapy (didn't go under) haven't helped. Maybe I haven't found the one for me yet. They all seem to want to be friends...I do not need friends, I need guidance.

BTW I am a 5 year breast cancer survivor. That was a piece of cake compared to anxiety and not being able to eat!

rudymom replied to kstrike's response:
I can identify and have empathy for your problem. When my anxiety was at its worst about 10 yrs ago I clearly recall thinking that I would rather have ANYTHING medical than anxiety. Anxiety can be that powerful. With a lot of effort (and ongoing maintenance) I am better - there is hope!

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

The five most unexpected causes: Coffee, Water, Sleep, Exercise, Diet
I have this as well. I have noticed that these symptoms are at there worst when I have had sleep deprivation, too much coffee, have not ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.