Skip to content
Drinking alcohol while on Celexa
Justin09 posted:
Hello all,

I have started taking Celexa, 10mg the first week of February. This medication seems to be working very well, but my doctor told me to avoid drinking. I did avoid drinking.. up until last night when i was out with a few friends. I had 3 mixed drinks and felt fine. But this morning I notice that I have that nervous feeling again.. heartburn also.. not quite an anxiety attack, but, i just feel nervous and have heartburn. Should I completely stop drinking or just cut it down to just 1 drink? Did i totally screw up the effects of the Celexa??? =( Any advice will help, thank you!

starsmommy responded:
Hi Justin09! I don't think you screwed up any effects of the Celexa with one night out. A few years ago I was on paxil for depression, unable to sleep, irritability. I took it for a few years until I became pregnant. At that time I really did not know you weren't suppose to drink with it. I did drink occasionally on the weekends with friends while socializing never even giving it a second thought. I never had any problems of any kind. Give your body time to adjust to the medicine and I don't think it will be a big problem to have an occasional drink or two here and there. I'm back on paxil for extreme anxiety. I am trying to avoid alcohol this time around until I get more balanced out. I don't want to tell you want to do and I do not know what can happen when you drink with the SSRI I just know alot of people who do and have never had any problems. I do avoid alcohol if I had to take a xanax or a klonopin however, because the beer intensify's those alot.

worriedconfusedinla responded:
hey justin im on 20 mg of celexa and drink socially on it never had 1 problem with it just let your body adjust celexa is a good med and 10 mg is very low dose so no you didnt mess up it takes a good 4 to 6 weeks for these meds to really start working good luck to you

melgarc; responded:
Hi Justin09, I too began taking Celexa at the beginning of February and did avoid drinking until this past weekend. I had the same symptoms as you. Wow I'm so glad I'm not the only one!! I thought I was going crazy! I don't know that I will drink again while taking these only because I just didn't like the way it made me feel. It is comforting to know I'm not the only one in this boat. Thank you for putting this question out there and thanks to the rest of you for the helpful answers. Good luck to you. Melissa

knt521 responded:
Hi Justin09! You can take milk thislte and sami which is available at any health food store to help your liver and prevent damage to it from the meds you are on.

Justin09 responded:
Thank you all for your support! I really do appreciate the time of u all have taken to respond to my question!

Dr_Patricia_Farrell responded:
I don't think you "totally screwed up the effects" of the med, but placed yourself in a situation that could have been a problem. Check with your doc about how you're feeling today. Alcohol and meds don't mix because they can cause the effects of the alcohol to be intensified to the point that you can have a blackout suddenly, even though you've never had one before.

Nicko1129 responded:
have been taking celexa for 4 months now. started at 10mg and went to 40mg and drank socially. 1-2 times a week.... i did notice it took less alcohol to get drunk and the hangovers are horrible! if i stick to beer its not bad but shots or mixed drinks and the night is over for me lol.now i take celexa 20mg and buspar twice a day and i still drink on occasion. check with your doc though, mine said a few beers are fine.

babyangel_KT responded:
  • sigh* i saw that this was written in 2008 i miss those days i used to be able to drink 2-3 days a week i been sober for 17months because im taking both xanax (.25mg a day) and 5mg celexa its depressing not to have a drink , it used to relax me so much i really hope to ween off them by 2014 , i hope your health is better now 5 yrs later justin
  •  
    sittingbull594 replied to babyangel_KT's response:
    when we drink alcohol we really do decrease the ability of the antidepressant/ and other meds that are sensitive to alcohol to work. There have been scientific research to back this up.

I've been told not to drink with any of my phych drugs.... but I do know that particularly the antidepressants are almost totally negated because of alcohol usuage.

Hope you check back and find this is TRUE as it is.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Embracing Today
    Hello All, With each day that GOD gives us, lets view it as a day of opportunity to begin to embrace self in all forms. Today is the day of ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.