Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
im always nervous anxious and scared
nervous88 posted:
feel a little stupid doing this, i don't know if there is something wrong with me or if I am just a wuss. I can't seem to deal with normal situations and problems that everyone goes through. I am always nervous and anxious....ALWAYS! I blow normal situations and problems out of proportion and overanalyze them. If a friend or coworker (or employer) is mad or upset I assume it must be because of me, and make up reasons why, and beleive these reasons even though I know it can't be possible, when this happens i start to shake, feel sick and sweat, sometimes have trouble breathing.Then I cant sleep,I have nightmares and cry hysterically.

busywithkids2 responded:
It sounds like something that isn't normal. What you are describing is how I run situations through my head on a regular basis. And your physical response to it sounds like it is really negatively impacting your life.
I would talk to your Dr about it.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I think you need to give yourself a break. You can't be responsible for what others do or how they react. Yes, maybe there's a bit of you involved in what happens, but ALL of it? No.

Remember to look for reasons other than you that things might be happening and, if you spend your time over-analyzing, what time do you have left for making life worthwhile and fun? Seek the joy, not the sorrow and help yourself to learn to relax.

wineisfine responded:
Boy, can I relate-I have been this way all my life-tried almost everything-have to get this under control-taught 30 years, and am now searching for the right meds, and all the help I can get. My family history is this way, anxious is a mild way of saying it-I have no reason-what is wrong? I realize I cannot handle this alone.

wineisfine replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
If you do not understand how to "give yourself a break, how do you do it?" I do not even know the reason for my anxiety, and want to slap anyone who says, just relax! I would if I knew how, type triple A personalities just do not get it!

nervous88 replied to wineisfine's response:
Exactly! I have told myself every time that this happens that I am being ridiculous and to get over it or just "relax". but it doesn't help to stop the problem in any way! I would love to "relax" and "give myself a break" but just because someone says it,or I think it doesn't make it so. The few people that i trust enough to tell them my problem have minds that work opposite to the way mine does and they just don't get it.
I have talked to my doctor about it but i live in a small town in Canada and the healthcare professionals are either overworked or unsuited to their jobs(they just don't care).
I thank all of you for your replies, but wineisfine thank you even more for being the first person to understand, Truly i tank you!!!

A_nano_mess responded:
I fought this for many yeArs and just recently found out this cure drug free(not including experimenting). I found that the problem is when you think too much. I just learned a new word "renumerating" residing the same thoughts over and over. It's when u constantly think further into the future and in real time you try to catch up to it and it causes anxiety, then you always feel ur rushing. Google I think too much. I'm just now shaking this at 25 and Ive suffered since I was 6. Good luck -W

A_nano_mess replied to A_nano_mess's response:
Remunerating**

almc84 replied to nervous88's response:
I have been going through this since I was 7... way too long!! How are you now? Your post is from 3 years ago. I've really convinced myself that I'm not normal, that something is unbalanced in my brain! I always feel like I'm going to totally lose it at any minute and end up in a psych ward! But really, nothing much is going on in my life that's different from anyone else. In fact, I have a pretty good life and I'm happy! I've been on medication for anxiety and panic disorder since I was in my 20's and it really doesn't help. Doctors just don't get it. I just want to think and be normal and not be so anxious and nervous all the time.....

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.