Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Anxiety on road trips
Cicily04 posted:
I had one bad experience last summer on a 13 hr road trip and my mind has never forgot.. ever since then if i get into a car knowing its going to be longer than down the street my body starts going crazy.. about an hour into the drive i start getting nauseous and diarrhea a even light head with sweats. i try to control it but nothing helps. I have taken dramamine but that makes want to throw up so bad... i thought this was car sickness but i realized it anxiety . is there anything to help me with this problem.

steadygoing responded:
It could be you felt "trapped" and that triggered feelings of anxiety/ panic just like some individuals have this when they enter an elevator, restaurant, movie theatre, etc and etc. It does sound like anxiety which you may have to talk through with a therapist or other professional.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
You might want to work with a psychologist who handles anxiety disorders. In the meantime, you can use relaxation breathing (I just put a video up on my Self-Help page on my website athttp://bit.ly/bsxEnI) before you make any trips and during the trip as well. Be positive and use self-talk. It is something that can be handled and you will learn ways to help yourself.

anon3949 responded:
I have this problem as well. It is a medical issue, and sounds like panic attacks. There is medication that can control it for the day to day (I'm on Lexapro,) and also I find a small (.25 mg) dose Xanax helps when I do get a panic attack. It usually calms me down within 15 minutes. However, then I am wiped out the rest of the day. I highly recommend seeing both a psychiatrist and psychologist for therapy. Also, meditation/breathing focused yoga really helps. I just did meds for 10 years and now am paying the price. I wish I had started talking to someone years ago so I would have tools to deal with anxiety and panic when it does happen. I hope you are able to get help that works.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.