Skip to content
My Son will not leave the house
tinaseabolt posted:
Hi, I have a big problem, my son has not left my home since, April of last year, he keeps telling me he will freak out if he leaves, he thinks he has ever disease you can think of, I had tried to take him to our physician many times, but he gets upset and runs out, he will not even walk out in the back yard, maybe once and a while I can get him to go out there, his friends come by and try to get him to go places but he wont, it is starting to effect everyone in the house and I do not know what do.......

Dr_Patricia_Farrell responded:
You didn't mention his age and since he doesn't leave the house, I'm thinking he's graduated from school and doesn't have to go to school any longer. It sounds like a serious problem and you may want to see if someone will come to the house to do an evaluation. Usually, mental health centers have outreach programs where a psychiatrist will come to the house. I think he does need help and this may be the only way to get it for him.

Chris00SS responded:
I know exactly how your son feels. I too suffer from severe anxiety, panic attacks, depression, and agorophobia. I am 26 and still live at home. I was laid off last year and the anxiety has just gotten so severe that I don't go anywhere, I just lay around the house all day. He really needs to have a doctor look at him. I am able to go outside but it is so very hard for me to go anywhere. I have not gone anywhere in around a month and I was barely able to go out then. You should see if you can find a doctor who can come to your house and look at him. I wish I could find a doctor to come to my house and look at me because I freak out whenever I have to go to the doctor and I get sick, I just don't know where to look to find a doctor who makes house calls. You should also talk with your son about it and about what he's going through because he could use all the support he can get. I know it's hard for you to understand what he's going through since you have never gone through it but he needs someone to at least try and understand what he's going through and comfort him.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.