Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
My child has developed a fear of storms...
An_190169 posted:
My 8 year old son has recently developed a fear of storms. He constantly talks of lightning, thunder, hurricanes and tornado.s He has had no bad experiences with bad weather. If he see the wind blowing, and there are no clouds in the sky, he gets worried and has had crying spells... Help! He has also been complaining of his stomach hurting, which I think is a sign of his true anxiety. I would like to know if there is anything I can do for him to help ease his worries about weather.

alonealonealone responded:
I encourage you to take him to his pediatrician. If he does have an anxiety disorder it doesn't automatically mean he will need medication - there may be lifestyle changes that can help and therapy may be helpful as well. When someone has an anxiety disorder, there is really nothing anyone else can do (even moms, unfortunately) except for be supportive. Trust me on this.

Anxiety disorders are a health concern - just like diabetes is a health concern. If he does have one, he needs to be diagnosed so you and his doctor can decide the best course of treatment that will bring him as much relief as possible with as little risk as possible. Supporting him emotionally on this journey is important, of course, just remember (if it is an anxiety disorder) it is bigger than average childhood fears and no amount of soothing will fix it (although soothing is nice and may temporarily relieve some anxiety). Treat it like you would treat a broken bone or any other health concern: consult medical personnel.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
You might discuss this with a child psychologist who can provide you with some guidance regarding your son's fear of storms. It might take a few sessions, also, for the two of you to work on this. I do agree that his stomach complaints are probably related to the anxiety he's feeling.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.