Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anxiey, Medication, and My parents?
An_190170 posted:
So I was on 12.5mg for 3 days for anxiety and rare depressive episodes then switched to 25mg as perscribed but now Im not so sure about this medicine. So I was wondering if you guys could share your experience?

I have chest pains and not as much today but usally shortness of breath/insomina and thinking about the stress of starting a whole nother school year. I also have occasional headaches. I feel like I still have alot of anxiety but its lessened. Also that I can't get extremely ahppy with this new dose however when I use to I'd get extra happy then a down feeling without the medicine.

Have any SSRI'S done this to you and they worked and were you taking them for any kind of anxiety?
Is it just evening my mood?

Final question if theres any people who had someone who has an anxiety disorder should you not talk to them about it? I feel that my dad gets anxiety when I talk about it and my mom grows tired of it I feel awful but it just comes naturally with/without medicine.

alonealonealone responded:
I'm not sure what medication you're taking, but I encourage you to tell your doctor about the side effects you are experiencing. It may be nothing, or it may be a sign that it is not the right med or dose for you.

I've been on SSRI's for years (I think 16 or 17 years now - first Prozac and now Paxil). I've had various side effects but they usually go away within the first few months. The most notable I recall were sweating more, dry mouth and decreased libido.

I'm sorry to hear it's difficult for you to talk to your parents about your anxiety. I have had similar experiences.

My mom, while very loving, is a bit dismissive about any sort of mental health "stuff". I think that is just the way she was raised. Plus, she is so calm I sometimes wonder if she even has a pulse. I just remind myself that a) she loves me and b) while she's not the number one person I can talk to about my anxiety, she does care about me and wants to know if I am struggling or if I am ok in general. So I keep it general with her.

My dad also had anxiety (and his father before him). I couldn't talk to him about it at all, we just didn't have that type of relationship. It was just one of those things that I had to grow to accept. Again, I knew he loved me, but I saved my detailed conversations about anxiety for my therapist, sister and close friends. It wasn't perfect, but it was what I had. I talked to him about other things.

I'm not sure if you are in therapy at the moment, but that has really helped me. They HAVE to listen! Also, I have joined a Meetup.com group in my area for people with anxiety and depression. That group has been really helpful. Just getting it out, talking to someone who KNOWS exactly what I'm talking about is so nice.

Best of luck to you.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.