Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Panic Attacks When I Awake
AngelGuy64 posted:
Hi:

I've been battling panic/anxiety attacks for quite a while now. I thought that I had them under control but recently I'd had two consecutive episodes on back-to-back days. For me, they usually happen when I unexpectedly wake-up on the couch or in bed in the middle of the night. I suddenly become disoriented and the anxiety begins. It doesn't last very long but is very frightening.

I usually talk myself out of them and tell myself that these thoughts are irrational and the episodes passes. Sometimes I call a former therapist of mine and he talks me through it all, sometimes in the middle of the night. I've been taking Paxil 40mg once a day for about 12-15 years now and it has certainly helped. I'm puzzled that the attacks, although minor, have returned since my life is going very well right now. I'll probably call my doctor in the AM and let her know about this.

Anyway, I look forward to sharing with others on this community. You are definitely not alone! And you can get through this!

alonealonealone responded:
I've been on Paxil 20mgs/day for 11 years (before that, for 5 or 6 years I was on Prozac 20mgs/day and Xanax). I have about one attack per year or so. Recently my general level of anxiety is up. It may be that the meds aren't doing it for me anymore or it may be that I'm going through some stuff in therapy right now (I also have dysthymia). Not sure. But, I have heard here and elsewhere that sometimes drugs stop working after you have been on them a long time and you have to switch to another one (and can sometimes switch back). Not sure if that is what is going on for you or not, but wanted to offer my two cents.

Best of luck and hang in there. Talking to your doc is always step number one in my book.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

MRI/ NECK PAIN
I AM LEAVING WITH MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS I HAVE HAD HIP AND NECK PAIN WENT TO GET A MRI THEY SAW LESSIONS ON MY BRAIN I HAVE MS BUT IT DOES NOT ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.