Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
karmaday
An_190178 posted:
I get anxiety and panic attack when I'm stress out or I can't do something right and also right now I'm having money issuse and it is hurting me cause I'm losing everything. My husband and I just moved into this house out in country and I'm t rying to find work and no one won't hire me I applied at every place in own and my husband can't work he is disable and trying to get social serutry disablitily. This is big we have two children to raise and I don't know what to do. I don't like taking pills for my disease that I have.

karmaday responded:
Karmaday what should I do?

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Anon_51270,

Please be patient. Dr. Farrell responds as her schedule permits. Now that it's the weekend, it may take a bit longer, but she will reply.

Yours in health,

Byroney

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I can see that you are having a number of problems and perhaps I can offer some suggestions on what can be done, especially about the SSD issue.

I was a medical consultant for SSD for over a decade, so I know how that works. If he has applied (and I would do this over the phone rather in person), there's a waiting period, but you can always get them to move faster if you contact your local Congressman or Senator's office for help. These elected officials can make one phone call or send one letter and your file is marked "sensitive inquiry" and given special handling. They may not say this happens, but it does.

Next, if he's already applied and been turned down, that's not a major problem because you can ask for an appeal of the decision. If you are appealing, you should contact one of the nationally known law firms that specialize in SSD cases. Their fees are set by law (pretty minimal) and they "win" just about every case that comes to them. So, this is something you can do and you will receive payments that go back to the time of the original disability, if you provide adequate proof.

As to the problem of not finding a job, you might look at local volunteer jobs so that you can get your foot in the door, as it were. Through this, you may be able to establish contact with people who will find jobs you can get.

If medication is an issue, please contact local social service groups for some help with this.

I hope things do improve for you very shortly.

icyhotmama replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
I filed for SSDI in March online, and was approved 2 weeks ago.
I think it depends on how quickly your doctors offices send the information they need, and how quickly you fill out the paperwork that social security sends you, and what your disabilities are.

I have COPD, osteoarthritis in my neck, lower back, left ankle, all my toes, both knees, both wrists, most of my fingers, and it just keeps spreading. I also have Fibromyalgia, and suffer from depression and anxiety.

The only communication I had with social security was I had to go to the SS office and sign a release for my medical records, and while I was there she went over my online application with me and corrected any mistakes I had made,, and asked alot of questions, and that was it with her.
Then about 3 weeks after that a lady from SS called me and asked me if I would go and be evaluated by a psyciatrist, and I said no problem, and kept waiting for her to call with an appointment and she never did. About 6 weeks later I got the letter in the mail stating I had been approved. I could not believe it!
Filing online took a total of 3 and a half months to get approved!
No attorney, nothin.

Good luck with your application for ssdi. I hope and pray yours is as simple and easy as mine was.

Lydia

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to icyhotmama's response:
Dear Lydia (icyhotmama),

I wish everyone's case was handled as swiftly as your own! Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Best wishes,

Byroney

Janna56 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Hi Dr. Farrell: I just read this and was doing some thinking. My daughter just had lunch the other day with a co-worker who is on Disability. My daughter is 35 and the co-worker is 60. I asked my daughter what this lady was on Disability for and she said her neck and back. She is divorced, and is drawing off of her x-husbands Social Security. I've not heard of such a thing. She gets $1,600 a month in SSD and can still work part-time at the Store my daughter is Assistant Manager at. I don't even clear $1,000 a month working full time with the special needs individuals. : ( I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both of my knees, and have arthritis in my neck and lower back bone (not sure what they call that). I'm about burned out at my job, as you've read MANY times before, but I know I have to work. I have no one to help pay my bills. I am 56 and my x-husband will turn 65 next month. I was told by a friend who works for a lawyer than when I turn 62, 0r wait till I'm 65 I can draw off his Social Security in general = as we were married for over 10 years, I never remarry, (don't see that happening) and that he made more than myself, which is a DEFINITE YES!

I posted in the Depression Exchange that finally today I made my appointment with a Therapist. I have no idea why, but I put it off since June 4th. This is through an Employee Assistance Program where I can see her 3 times for free, then I am own my own making a co-payment. I am so depressed tonight, after making that appointment. Am I afraid to seek help - that I will actually be talking to someone? I don't get myself right now!!!! I spent the day crying off and on, and felt exhausted mentally and physically. I finally took a nap this afternoon, but forced myself to get up. Felt shaky all night and couldn't relax. I've been off for two days and go back to work tomorrow. I'm constantly worrying now about going to work. I love the Consumers I work with, but just don't know how to put it into words other than I did above "burned out". I have my evaluation Aug. 3 and we were all given self appraisal sheets to fill out. (3 sheet of questions on how we see ourselves). That was tough!!! Putting positive things down about myself was so hard. I did the best I could. I do have a problem with communication with my Supervisor, and I did say "I would like to have a better line of communication with my Supervisor". I hope she doesn't take that out on me. Her communication is texting me. I have posted before that she is only 22 and I am 56 being self-employed all my life up until 6 years ago. She went straight from College and got this Supervisor job, never working with Special Needs. I get so FRUSTRATED!!!!!!
I've worked with these people 3 years, and she has only been there a year, hardly ever working with the individuals and not knowing their personalities. I am getting worked up just thinking about it,so I better stop.

Well, enough for anyone to read at one time. I am open to any replies. Thank you.

Everyone - please take care of YOU!!!! Janna

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.