Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
St. John's Wort or 5-HTP?
Cammi70 posted:
A doctor who practices traditional and alternative approaches prescribed her line of St. John's Wort for anxiety, depression, and to see if it would help IBS and muscle aches. It mostly helped by calming. Many people I mention it to ask if I've tried 5-HTP. So, now I'm considering switching to that. Part of it is that the SJW makes me kind of drowsy and out of it, fuzzy thinking such that sometimes I can't think of the right word to say. Also, I want something (5-HTP or SJW) that will help OCD. Any thoughts?

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
The herb that you've been taking, St. John's Wort, is not without some problems and side effects. If you go to the FDA.gov site, you can do a search for this and you will see what their concerns are. There appears to be possible problems with metabolism and the liver as well as sun exposure.

As to your OCD, the usual method of treatment is to combine established medication regimes with cognitive behavioral therapy. Medication or herbs do not, I believe, address this anxiety disorder adequately. This is my professional opinion.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

keep calm
taking it one day at a time helps me with my anxiety. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.