Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
i need advise
crazyhammer7 posted:
does anyone ever get sick to there stomach when there stressed or haveing a panic attack
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Janna56 responded:
Hi crazyhammer7 - I just read this and YES, I do!!!! Mine though (and this is embarassing, is diarrhea). My stomach gets very quizzy and this is what happens. I definitely want you to know you are not alone with this!!! I have read here and I have known people who have stomach issues with stress.

Take care!! Janna

crazyhammer7 replied to Janna56's response:
that also happens to me, i usually end up trying to relax or go to a friends house and it goes away, thats for your help

Crazyhammer7

healthfreakgrl responded:
Yes, I do. My systems are more shortness of breath but I also seem to get bad indigestion all the time which I think might be from anxiety too.

BostonMom14 responded:
Yes stress and anxiety always triggers stomach problems for me. I told my therapist about this symptom and she told me it's the body's flight or fight response to anxiety. It wants to get rid of anything that will slow it down if it has to either fight or run away.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Absolutely, people do get sick to their stomach when they are stressed and have a panic attack. it's a pretty common occurrence, so don't feel you're alone or that you are in some way weak.

What do you do to handle your stress on a daily or weekly basis? I would recommend that there are several self-help things that you can begin to do for yourself. The first of these in addition to exercise would be to ensure that you were eating a balanced diet, get sufficient sleep, get out with friends and socialize on some semi-regular basis, get involved in activities you enjoy that are not stressful, and used relaxation breathing on a daily basis.

One thing you should also consider is having a medical checkup just to ensure there are no physical problems. I hope that you feel better very soon.

CortniJ responded:
I actually vomit & get diahrea when I have a panic attack. I guess it's from the adrenaline rush. Then once everything tones down a bit I'm still nauseated & jittery & exhausted.

medless responded:
I've been using a simple technique that eliminates anxiety and all the associated symptoms permanently without drugs or therapy. Theres a free conference call at 4pm PST today if anyone would like to learn how.

calisonic responded:
Mine was relieved by Tums and eventually a perscription drug (Aciphex) for stomach acid. The acid production is increrased durning anxiety and will cause your stomach to not shut up.

bunny1999 responded:
stay sick to my stomach it is very irritating

Sweetpcayman replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
Hello,

I am going through the same thing. I can;t sleep at night. When I go to the hospital and get check everything with my health is okay.

I am on Diovan 40 mgs for high blood presuure for about 3 years now and I am not sure if I am having an allergic reaction to it now. I take it every morning around 9-10 am,

if my family go to sleep before me and i lye down my mind starts to wonder while lying down and suddenly my heart starts racing, my feet tingle and I have a bowel movement 5 mins later. It normally goes away when I watch tv or turn on the light.

I am so afraid this sometimes happen 2 times per week.

strait12 responded:
I have sick to my stomach and diarrhea. When I have my attacks and panic too. How do you handle this problem?

TryingToBeAware responded:
I have had anxiety/panic attacks for years now. Sometimes I can remove myself from the situation to calm down, other times I count, and sometimes I just have to break down and take my low-dose Xanax. Because this is a habit forming medication I use it very sparingly and only when either I can't calm down/am unable to function close to "normal" or if I am so anxious I can't sleep after I've exhausted other options.
I too have similar physical reactions. I have a terrible abdominal pain and breathing difficulty which then is followed by diarrhea, heartburn (though I suffer from heartburn nearly every day now in general) and just feeling pretty awful in general. The only times I don't encounter this so far is it is a fairly mild attack, when I take the medication, or I can mentally and physically get to a "safe place" where I can calm down and collect my thoughts.
My biggest effort is to recognize when one is coming so that I can try to stop it before it takes control.

Good Luck!

Fartblossom1 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
I have bouts of panic attacks ever since I had to have a defibrillator/pacemaker and having it deliver "therapy" on numerous occasions. Most of the time it was unnecessary and has since been reprogrammed to recognize non-life threatening rhythms. I worry a lot about it going off especially in social situations. When a panic attack comes over me, my stomach always feels extremely unsettled and I have a strong urge to pee also. I have been on Xanax for quite a while and that, along with deep-breathing exercises at the onset of an attack seem to help. I don't think I will ever be able to completely stop the panic.

1313lucky responded:
My children gave me an MP 3 player for Christmas and I crank it up with jazz and big band music and my panic attach goes away. Good Luck.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.