Skip to content
Sudden Swollen Artery on Forehead..
Twelve21 posted:
Hello,

I'm 20, female, and in normal, good health. I have a problem though, and I really need informative help. Last week, I noticed a visible, slight swelling on the upper left side of my forehead. It looks like part of my left superficial temporal artery. It suddenly appeared on my head, and is larger than normal in a small area near my hairline. I have never seen or noticed the artery on my forehead before, and after I touched the area, I could feel it pulsating. I have been in a stressful environment lately, and was in a loud verbal argument that day, so I attributed the sudden swelling to me being angry and stressed and did not worry about it. However, a week has passed, and the artery is still visible! I haven't been physically injured in any way, nor have I felt any pain or any headaches in that area.

I'm very worried, but don't want to rush to the Emergency Room if this is something that will go back to normal on its own. Will the swollen and visible area of my left STA go back down to normal (not visible) soon? I applied an ice pack to my head, to try to shrink the swelling back down. Will that help over time? If not, what will? I don't want to see this swelling on head anymore.

I'd really appreciate analysis or advice. I am very worried, as I do not like seeing or feeling this swollen portion of my left STA on my head.

Thank You.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Twelve21,

I can tell you are very concerned about the swelling. Unfortunately, there are no medical doctors on this board. Even if there were, an in-person examination (and perhaps testing), would be required for a diagnosis.

Please have your primary care physician take a look at it. If your symptoms become worse, then an urgent care visit might be prudent. Remember that peace of mine is invaluable.

Yours in health,

Byroney

Dr_Patricia_Farrell responded:
I'd like to help, but I'm not an MD and I think that's who you have to consult about this. You have to make the decision as to how emergent it is and either go to the ER or call your doc, explain what it is and together you can decide how to proceed.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.