Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1.Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/mental-health/

2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at CommunityManagement@webmd.net

Pre-flight anxiety.
    Musentango posted:
    Hello. I'm going to be flying to southern California on Thursday, March 12. I get anxiety when I am going to an airport (even if I'm just dropping somebody off and not going on a plane). I get sweaty palms, I get cold, and I get diarrhea every time I'm at an airport or about to board a plane. I'm wondering if there are any OTC pills that help with "pre-flight anxiety", so to speak (like something I can buy at Target or another store). I'll be taking Immodium AD the night before I leave to help with the diarrhea, but I'd like to have something to just keep me calm before and during the flight. Also, if there are any tips/remedies that do not require any pill/s, etc. I'll appreciate that as well (no alcohol please! I've Googled this, many pages came up with alcohol being a good "helper", but my body doesn't handle alcohol very well).

Thanks in advance!

MadyJaye responded:
    Oh lord, I get this too, I am a terrible flyer. White-knuckles, praying the whole time. My doctor actually used to prescribe me the lowest dose of Xanex to fly. However, if you don't want to go the prescription route, I have taken a dose of Benedryl before flying that helped. (I was pregnant at the time and couldn't take Xanex.) I just took two pills of Benedryl about an hour before my flight, and I slept the whole way there. I believe antihistimines are a more mild form of anti-anxiety medication, that is why they make you sleepy. I have also heard good things about a natural sleep remedy called "Calms Forte." I have never tried it myself, but I know it can be used for insomnia and anxiety and is found at most grocery/pharmacy stores.

If you don't want to take any medications at all, I read two books that really helped me. "Flying Without Fear" by Duane Brown, and "The Fearful Flyer's Guide" by Georgia L. Greist and James W. Jefferson. Also, Dr. Farrell has several anxiety coping excercises on this web-site that you will find helpful. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Dr_Patricia_Farrell responded:
    I don't know of anything OTC that you can use, but you can begin to use relaxation breathing (see my self-help page) and it will help you. Do it over the next few days and do it before you get on the plane, while you're on the plane and keep yourself either occupied with something or somehow distracted. It will be okay.

ianwinderam responded:
    I had terrible flight anxiety too, I was busy so could not go to classes and didnt want to take pills, what ended up helping was www.yourflightcompanion.com/

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
    Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    68 of 85 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.