Anxiety - FMLA question
Justin09 posted:
I am suffering from anxiety and i have called in sick 5 days last month and 2 days this month because of this condition. I filed an FMLA application at work a couple of days ago so my time off can be protected. I haven't received any word back from HR, so i'm wondering if suffering from anxiety will be applicable to FMLA? Anxiety is a chronic serious health condition right? Any advice will help, thanks!

Dr_Patricia_Farrell responded:
I believe this was originally intended for family leave for medical illnesses in the family which required that you either took time off to care for a family member or to recuperate from a major illness. There are a number of links online where you can get more information. I'm not an expert in this area, so I really can't provide much guidance. Yes, anxiety can be a very debilitating disorder, but I believe it has to rise to the point where it would immobilize you. When it rises to that point, and you have medical documentation to support it over a long enough period of time, you can even be eligible for Social Security Disability benefits.

Justin09 responded:
Thanks Dr_Patricia_Farrell for your information.

But just to let inquiring minds know that I did get approved for FMLA for this condition today. The certification of physician/provider - FMLA describes A "serious health condition" as: an illness, injury, impairment, or physical or mental condition that involves either hospital care, absence plus treatment, pregnancy, chronic conditions requiring treatments, or permanent / long-term conditions requiring supervisions.