Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
How Is This Supposed To Work Exactly?
illneverbackdown posted:
I saw my Doc yesterday and told him that even though I have been taking my Klonopin as I should be, I was having terrible anxienty that would cause my thoughts and heart to race, so he put me on Clonidine. I looked it up and it is supposed to be a blood pressure med, but he assured me that it would not effect my blood pressure, and it would help with the rapid heart rate and calm me down without the addictive side affects of a bezo. (I'm taking the Klonopin Still). Could Clonidine help? I filled the script, and I am only supposed to take it as needed.

kateybrown92 responded:
yes, it can. ive been on clonidine for 16 years now. i got put on it when i was only 2 years old for a rare sleep disorder and ive taken it every night since then to go to sleep. i swear by this medicine because i cant sleep without it. it does have a very calming effect and it can help lower your blood pressure or heart rate. ive had anxiety since i was 12 and i dont know what id do without it becuz it always helps me get a great nights sleep. id say give it a try becuz it is a great medicine but different medicines work differently for certain people and im only on this medicine for my sleep disorder but i do have anxiety. i hope this helped, good luck

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
It's not unusual to have a blood pressure medication prescribed for anxiety, because it really does help to calm you down. Your doctor would not have prescribed this medication if you have any problem with your blood pressure, so I'm assuming everything should be fine.

Did you and he discuss the fact that you are going to continue taking the Klonopin while you're taking this new medication? I'm not an M.D., so I can't provide any guidance here but as long as you and your doctor have agreed on this, it would seem to be the way to go.

Medication isn't always the only way to handle anxiety and you might want to consider some brief course of cognitive therapy. Also try using self-help take weeks which we have here on this page.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Lexapro
My dr. just prescribe me Lexapro.. i just feel nervous taking it. does anyone have any thoughts about it. More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.