Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
I need some help!!
An_190267 posted:
Okay So hello. I am a female and I'm almost 14. I know Im young for this type of thing but I feel like I have no other option than to turn to some sort of fourm to get help.

Okay So when I was 6 I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. Everything was fine, I was in therapy on and off until I was about 10. Then some family stuff happened, I had a 'break down' and when I say that I mean it. I ended up in the hospital for 9 days and more therapy. And meds.
This happened again last year. I was out of school for 6 months because of my depression and anxiety. Well school starts tomorrow. AND you might be wondering how this has anything to do with my anxiety but I assure you, it does.
Last year I would have panic attacks every day before school, to the point where I would stop breathing and start having chest pains because my heart was going so fast. And tomorrow I think I have to go through it again. Im afraid to tell my dad how I really feel and I'm scared. I'm scared about the physical and emotional pain that I'm going to have to go through in the morning. I tried talking to my Dad about it yesterday. He didn't listen. At all.
In the past two days I have had about 4 panic attacks.
I just need help. What do I do? Do I tell my dad? And How in God's earth do I make these things that torture me less torture? I know there not going to go away I just want them to hurt me less.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Yes, I think you have to tell your dad because he has an obligation, as a father, to help you through this very difficult time in your life.

I didn't see whether or not you were still in therapy and I think that would really be a good idea if you work. I don't know if you also take medication, but you may need that, also.

Everyone involved in your care, and that includes a therapist and either a psychiatrist or your pediatrician and your dad, all need to work together with you on your anxiety. This isn't something you should feel you have to do alone and I don't think anyone would expect that. You need and deserve support.

Please tell your dad and also have your dad find out what accommodations the school might make for you so that you will feel a bit better. I think that, based on your background, you are entitled to some considerations and I would think that needs to be explored.

I hope things do work out well and, perhaps, even surprise you with how well they do turn out. Have a great semester.

kateybrown92 responded:
I know what you are going through because at your age, I developed an anxiety disorder too. It started in 7th grade. I was sitting in the middle of everyone in class where I started having a panic attack. My heart started to race, I felt dizzy and I felt like I was going to have a heart attack or pass out. There were times where I avoided going to school because I was scared of having a panic attack. I did miss a lot of school because of this. It's probably harder for you too because you have the panic attacks before school and not during school. I've had an anxiety disorder ever since then and throughout high school also. There are many ways that your school can accommodate you. Talk with your counselor at school. Talk about setting up an IEP, which is an Individualized Education Program. I had one throughout middle school and high school and it helped a lot. They would have a spot for me to come to whenever I felt anxious at school, there always would be someone to talk to, I had a pass that all the teachers knew about in case I needed to leave class. There are alot of things that your school can do to help you. I'm sorry that your dad doesn't listen, it's probably hard for him to understand it because he's never gone through it. Try talking to him again, it it doesn't work then talk to someone at your school. Is there anything at school that makes you feel anxious or do you have panic attacks when your actually at school? Sometimes it helps knowing why you are anxious but sometimes you have no idea why. I hope this helps and good luck. I know school can be tough sometimes but try to make the best of it because I had a hard time in school too.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

The five most unexpected causes: Coffee, Water, Sleep, Exercise, Diet
I have this as well. I have noticed that these symptoms are at there worst when I have had sleep deprivation, too much coffee, have not ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.