Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
lamictal for anxiety
sunflower1943 posted:
Wondering if any of you take lamotrigine (generic for Lamictal) for anxiety and if so at what dose - I know you have to titrate slowly due to the dreaded rash which is rare if you go slowly.

I am on 75 - just started it last night from 50 mg - wondering for anxiety what do you think the dose would be to calm down the anxiety even though I know everyone is different.

Thank you and will look forward to your post.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I know that lamotrigine, a medication that is primarily used for seizure disorder, has been used as a mood stabilizer, but I do not know if the FDA has approved it for use in treating anxiety. Did your prescriber indicate that it is now a medication for anxiety?

I'm sure that you were advised that if you were to develop any type of rash while using this medication, you should immediately call your doctor because this is quite serious.

I'm not an M.D. and I can't advise you regarding how to use this medication or what dosage would be appropriate. Please discuss this with your doctor.

katx2012 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
I took Lamotrigine, but it was prescribed to me as a migraine medication, my doctor never mentioned anything about anxiety. You might want to double check.

I had to stop taking it because I got the rash, first thing I have ever been allergic to.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.