Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
i always feel like something bad is going to happen
prayerful2010 posted:
hi i have read alot of theses post and the do help me i have been fighting this anxiety now for the past few years it started when my son was killed in 2000 and i didnt know what it was i would get dizzzy and feel like i was going to pass out and i thought i was going to die. the anxiety lasted a few months and lots of visits to the ER will after a few months the anxiety went away and i was so happy i felt like i was a person agine. in nov 2009 i had to have surgery on my foot and thats when it all started all over agine it was not to bad at first but now im just going creazy i cant sleep i feel like if i leave my house somthing will happen if i stay in my house something will happen i hate feeling like this i pray that it will just go away but it seems like its just getting worse.how can you stop the bad thoughts that are going thow your head the jitter and the dizzy spells i dont like feel so out of controll of my life like this my husband likes to travel but i feel like something bad will happen so i dont want to go hes realy trying to help me thow this but it taking its toll on the both of us im praying everyday that this will just go away does anyone have any advice please any help at all.

mannedcat responded:
HI, you should talk to your doctor about your spells. Maybe you need some meds to help or maybe therapy. Me I have done both, now I am only on the meds.I have to take a break from therapy every once in awhile. Your first step should be talk to your doctor, and then take it from there. Stay well. Yvonne

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
First let me ask a few questions: are you on any medication as a result of the surgery that you had? Also, are you on any medication for hypertension? What about any other medication? When was the last time you had a complete physical? The reason I ask all these questions is that, sometimes, medication can leave us prone to anxiety and I'm wondering if that might be the issue here.

You said you have had a period where you felt quite good. Is there anything that you were doing then that you have stopped doing now? I'm thinking, specifically, of any routines such as going to an exercise group or some other planned activities. I think both of these would be helpful for you since you've indicated that you're having a problem getting out of the house.

In the meantime, please consider having the complete physical and also review our Tips column. I would recommend that, if your physician agrees, you begin to do some mild exercise on a regular daily or weekly basis. As you can see from the tips we provided, exercise can be as simple as walking in place in your kitchen, so you needn't buy any equipment or join any clubs.

I would also recommend that you begin to use positive self talk whenever you begin to feel anxious about something, question yourself regarding the anxiety you're feeling and whether or not this is reasonable. Also, review the relaxation breathing video we've provided in an our Tips column and do it on a daily basis, perhaps several times a day. It can really help.

One thing to remember is that, once anxiety begins to take a grip on you, it will strengthen its grip and make it more difficult for you to free yourself. The thing to do is to stop it whenever you feel it beginning. Take the opportunity to go out, to visit friends, to engage in activities and, of course, travel with your husband whenever you can.

I hope things improve for you very soon.

prayerful2010 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
im not on any meds right now i have seen my dr and he thinks that with everything that been going on in my life it might be too much to handel when i first had my surgery i was only going to be off work for 8 weeks will that has turned into a year this nov in dec of last year my mother passed away and in jan i lost my job becouse i was out to long from the surgery i do try and get out even thow i dont want to i make my self go and visit our take a walk if im able i cant stand for a long period of time but i try to get as much exercise as i can. and i was doing good i started having these attacks in 2000 right after my son died i had them for about 7-8 months but they went away now there back and my dr put me on celexa but it made the attacks worse but i found that if i talk myself thow them it wont last that long maybe 3-5 min thank god for that!! i thank you for your response and this site it realy help me i dont feel so alone and creazy knowing that it not just me going thow this

onlyforward replied to prayerful2010's response:
Prayful2010, I will give you a few things that I have tried for my panic attacks that started when I went to Las Vegas a couple years ago. I cant say for sure what brought them on, but I think it has to do with the food you eat, not enough water and to many things for your brain to comprehend. I was having digestive problems at the same time. I also was not drinking that much water mostly coffee diet pop so maybe I was dehydrating myself which was giving me bathroom problems. Well to get down to what I think has helped is eating good food that does not give you gas and drink lots of water, cut out caffein as well. I am still expermenting with what helps and I can say that I had my last attack 2 months ago and not one since. Worrying about if you will have another also seems to bring them on, so some of it must be in the head almost like your brain remembers the same filling and can bring back that same filling when you allow it. Anyways please try this if it hasnt been asked all ready. Maybe make a diary of everything you put into your mouth. make sure you drink enough water and are eating the right amounts of all the food groups. I can tell you this when an attack comes on I know it is one of the scariest things I have ever experienced I really think that I'm going to stop breathing and die. good luck and take care

crazymarge responded:
Hang in there. I too had a son killed when he was 23 in 2001. I didn't think I could go on. I realized he is here with me and I talk to him every day. I tell him I love him and miss him. That is the only way I can keep my sanity. I have also starting making jewelry again and doing crafts. My crafting ability has returned and it keeps my mind busy. I have been through a lot since my son died and I have kept positive and pray every day things will get better. It has kept me strong and able to work a full time job and craft when I am at home. I get his pictures out and remember the happy times that we spent together. Take care. Think positive about everything.

StillPraying2010 responded:
Hi prayerful2010, I have read all this discussion and I just wanted to share with you my experince that happen two 1/2 years ago to me. I was on Celexa for five years,because I had almost had an accident and it scared me to death what they called a panic attack I had coming home from work one
day, I had been a little stressed out at work but that was the only one I had. I tried to get the Dr. to let me go off of celexa cause I had got psoriasis (skin disease) from the celexa I had took for that long. They would'nt let me go off it, so I took my self off slowly from it and then that is when I had the first week of vacation I'd ever had in my life. Me being a woman I started showing all the signs of menopause at 50 yrs.old the celexa was hiding it all. I then started having anxiety and my body shaking all over and panic attacks like crazy. I also started having these bad thoughts of something bad going to happen just other bad thoughts and didn't like to be in closed area's I went on like this off and on I started taking womenstowomens.com vitamins Great site and good info) and walking every chance I got but was still having the bad thoughts that kept coming back, and being in closed area's. So I decided to get my hormones checked and they were low so I started having hormone replacement (pellets) inserted under my skin and since I have been getting them (hormones) under control them bad thoughts and most of all the anxiety has gone and I have only had them inserted three times now. I feel 100% better now than I have in a long time, Thanks to the good Lord up above I prayed everynight to him to please let me get better. I don't know if this would help you but maybe someone that reads it will help I pray that you get better.

An_190349 responded:
So sorry you are having this horrible problem of anxiety/panic spells. I suffered like you for many years until I could not go on like that. The quality of life was so bad, and I began having problems physically. High blood pressure, etc. etc. I went to see a psychopharmachologist and he put me on two antidepressants, and suggested I go for talk therapy(cognitive). It took a bit of time to find the correct meds for my chemical imbalance. I started on small doses and gradually increased them. I have been doing this for the past 25 years - I did get my life back, and I feel very healthy and happy now. You cannot do it yourself. Seek help, trust, and do what you are told. Good luck. I wouldn't wish anxiety/depressant on my worse enemy.
Keep plugging, it's worth it. Jeanne

healthynosh responded:
Hi, Prayerful. You sound like a Christian? You may want to contact an evangelical church near you that does healing and deliverance ministry. God is still the ultimate healer and deliverer, and He can get you out of this one. I went for deliverance from depression and it worked, and wasn't scary or anything (my head did not spin around a la Linda Blair in The Exorcist). The thing is, deliverance was 30% of Jesus' ministry in scripture!
A lot of people don't know that or don't want to believe it. He commanded his followers to go out and do the same, too! It's part of the 5-fold ministry for the church outlined in scripture. Check out Mark 16:17 and Matthew 10:8 and other cross references in scripture. It's God's plan until Jesus returns, for the strengthening of his children so we can thrive in this world where terrible stuff happens.
If you haven't yet, ask Jesus to come and live in your heart and be your God. Ask for forgiveness of your sins, and for in-filling and baptism in the Holy Spirit. That's a start. Deliverance would then come next.
If you're not willing to go for deliverance ministry, at least pray for renewing of your mind and for deliverance from what's oppressing you. Check to make sure you're not in a state of unforgiveness toward anyone in your life. Try fasting for a few days, drinking only water, while praying fervently. This works! I could go on and on with examples from my own life about how. Finally, if you're not willing to do that, either, try Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It's a secular approach, but the stats on its efficacy are great. It works.

dunn25 replied to prayerful2010's response:
when you first started with attacks,how often were you getting them??

dunn25 replied to StillPraying2010's response:
were you having panic attacks every day?

mrsblackmon251985 responded:
have had anxiety an panic attacks since my little sister died when i was 6 and i learned to deal with it on my own and it would have periods were i would be fine for 2or 3 years with no problems then last january i had a nervous break down for know reason it just came on all of a sudden so i let them put me on medicine and i was on it till this past febuary an it helped a little but i just kept praying that i would be ok i fealt like i was all alone and nobody knew what i was going through but my husband just stayed by my side and helped me get through it so i know what your going through and it is very scary

healingmyself responded:
Dear Prayerful2010,

I too suffer from severe anxiety, I used to think I was completely crazy. In 2006 I lost custody of my son and my daughter. I unfortunately had a drug problem and I needed treatment. I never thought I would never see my two children again. I tried to hold onto them any way I could, and just in this last year I have learned that if I do not let go and give this to God, I will not survive. I am very sorry for your loss, i too lost not in the same way as you, if you ever want someone to listen, I am a good listener. Try to stay as positive as you can, and just know there are people out there that suffer from the same annoying anxiety. take care

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Lexapro
My dr. just prescribe me Lexapro.. i just feel nervous taking it. does anyone have any thoughts about it. More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.