Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
need info,
An_190360 posted:
my step mom has anxiety and biploar,she likes to leave at nite and alway wants coffee and smokes,the doc, says thats its not good for her to be drinking coffee and smoking,she does not trust anyone in the family but me for now,this has to be one of the hardest this ive every done in my life,is there someone out there who can help me with trtying to help her?
momuv4girls responded:

Here is the link to the WebMd. bipolar exchange. Some folks on there may be able to offer up some ideas and support:

Sorry for the difficult situation, maybe you could find some local support for yourself through NAMI? Here is their link:

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
I can understand that this must be very difficult for you, especially since her doctor has indicated she should not be smoking or drinking coffee. I would think, however, that the two of these are providing her some degree of comfort and, since both of them are addictions, it's not that easy to stop.

People with bipolar disorder also can have several other diagnoses and I hope she is receiving some form of psychotherapy to help with all of this. As for yourself, you might want to consider using some type of group setting to discuss this with others who are experiencing the same type of problem. I don't know if you would wish to do this online or in an actual group support setting. Please see what's available in your area and perhaps your step-mother's Dr. might know of one.

I hope things do improve for you soon and that you do find the assistance that you need in your community.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Progressive Muscle RelaxationExpert
In addition to relaxation breathing and guided imagery, one great self-help technique that you can use anywhere (even while sitting in a ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.