Skip to content
Lorazepam + Alcohol
Kev2205 posted:
I had a severe panic attack back in mid November and went to see a doctor the next day. He wrote me a prescription for 0.5mg of Lorazepam to take as needed. I have been taking one 0.5mg pill each morning since I have had the prescription. I consume alcohol on a regular basis (5-6 days out of the week) and at first everything felt normal while taking Lorazepam each morning and then having a few drinks at night during the week and maybe quite a bit on the weekends. I have noticed a slight tingling or numbness around the back of my head after drinking and this has been going on for maybe 6 weeks now. Within the past week or two I have noticed an increase in the numbness or tingling sensation I feel in my head after consuming alcohol. This scares me very much as I absolutely cannot stand the feeling. I drank 2 beers yesterday and I felt so horrible all I could do was drink water and lay down just waiting for this sensation to go away. I am assuming that the Lorazepam and alcohol combination are the cause. Am I right? If so, how long does Lorazepam stay in your system after your last dose (0.5mg)? I'm also worried about what will happen if I just stop taking the Lorazepam altogether. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Dr_Patricia_Farrell responded:
You're absolutely right that lorazepam and alcohol don't mix; it's fire and gasoline. Please talk to your doc about the sensations you're feeling. This is very important, so don't delay and try to cut out the alcohol.

Kev2205 responded:
Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post. The thing is though, I was laid off at the end of January and I no longer have health insurance so I can't visit the clinic to see a doctor or it will be very costly. Should I still call and talk to someone at the clinic?

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Exercise you can doExpert
Exercise is one of the most beneficial self-help techniques we know of today and more and more research is indicating its usefulness in ... More
Was this Helpful?
57 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.