Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
PHOBIA/FEAR of unknown
sunild1204 posted:
PHOBIA/FEAR of unknown
Here is what happened when I was coming down elevator once. The Lift got stuck in between. I suddenly felt suffocated enough to cause me breathe heavy/Short. I felt as if I was not able to breathe enough which caused heavy breathing. The reaction of this behavior was enough to cause me panic and I felt I might just die if I can't breathe enough. Suddenly I was having fear of going through the elevators with the fear what if next time it happened and there is a delay in coming out. The thought was enough to cause fear /Phobia inside me of using the elevator.
Here is what did.
I just decide to confront my fear/Phobia. I knew that next time lift was stuck it will cause panic attack and breathing issues in me. I decided to live that fear by simulating it.
I just went to the small toilet at my home, imagining it to be the lift. Now I had to imagine that the lift is stuck so what should be my reaction.
1) Instructed myself not to panic
2) Instructed myself to Just relax and cool down.
3) Stop thinking about yourself in order to NOT start breathing issue. Just ignore yourself.
4) Look at possibilities of what to do next in order to start rescue process. For e.g. Press alarm button or use yr cell to call security.
5) Once I had followed all steps above I came out and slept tight knowing that I had killed my phobia. It was as simple as confronting the fear and re living it in controlled simulated conditions.

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
Thank you for posting your experience and how you managed to help yourself.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 85 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.